Caught about 20 channel catfish 05/07/06

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by steve-o, May 7, 2006.

1. steve-o

steve-o New Member

State:
    ohio
    caught about 20 channels today, ranging from 1lb-8lbs. got one real nice one, 8lbs. / 21in., with a fat little belly. will post pics later, when i develop the film. i have pics from the last 3 weekends on that film. it has been a good few weeks, i,ve probably caught 50 channels in the last 3 weeks.

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    man you have got to let us in on your pattern! theres a whole bunch of us here in ohio who are having a very hard time right now, ive never seen anything like it! shallow? deep? morning? evening? hole locations? etc? we need answers! lol

3. steve-o

steve-o New Member

State:
    ohio
    deep, 12-15ft. mostly between 7 A.M. and Noon, with a few later in the evening, 6 P.M.-11 P.M., at the mouth of the "honey hole" in our pond. i use a slip float, and suspend cut shad, crawlers, and garlic shrimp. caught most of them on crawlers.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    cool, thanks! i was talking to another member a couple days ago and were discussing the fact that maybe mornings are producing right now.

5. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Way to go, Steve :smile2: Catchin' is always a whole lotta more fun than fishin, isn't it :big_smile:

6. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Execellent catch of channels you got. It seems that you Ohio guys are really nailing them this year. Keep up the good work.

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Steve-O that is a nice catch!

This is the time of the year to get those big stringers of fish. I had my first 30+ fish day last week, and there have been a couple of 20+ days in the past weeks.

Dinkbuster1 is right about mornings. My catches came from 7:00am-Noon, with the bite falling off around 11:00am or so. Evenings have not been bad either. Good catches from an hour before dark until a couple of hours after.

8. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Nice catch. They havent really been biting for me.

9. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Steve-O Nice job, so you got those from a pond? That might explain the differences the rest of us are having int he rivers, Its a weird time right now and someone mentioned a tough time even catching bluegills last week, me too?? We need a drastic change in conditions so Im looking forward to some more rain, ( warmer ) and a gentle rising of the rivers which are low and clear, nary a flathead has been spotted on the GMR except the 2-3 mentioned here. The last 2 weeks have been horrible across the state it seems.
    Salmonid

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My fishing has been horible to say the least..Usually May signals good fishing but not this year..I have not had a bump in my last 17hrs on the water, and I have fished many different river locations,,It's almost like I can feel a skunking even before I go:sad2:

11. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    great job on the channel cats. I havent caught a catfish in what feels like a lifetime. I was fishing yesterday and didnt get a bump on cutbait for 2 and a half hours. So i pulled out a bass rod and caught 13 total crappie and a carp. its just not right:confused2:

12. steve-o

steve-o New Member

State:
    ohio
    sorry guys, i hope your luck improves.

13. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats very nice Steve.