Caught a snake...

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by AllenM, May 30, 2006.

1. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Got up about 6:30 and headed out to the lake. Caught a handfull of bluegills and a couple 8 or 9 inch spotted bass, and a nice fish of some sort threw my spinner as I tried to set the hook on him, so I had a good time. Driving back up the hill from the picnic area where I'd been fishing I spotted a snake streatch out across the road and thought it was a road kill. No one was around so I stopped, looked, and it was just stretched out pretty as you please warming itself on the road, just beggin' to get run over! It was about a 3 foot gopher snake, so I scooped him up and brought him home. I've caught a lot of these growing up and I was pretty surprised that he didn't even TRY to bite me! Most of them I've come across have had pretty nasty dispositions! Figured he must still be cold, but I drove home with him in one hand and although he tried real hard to slither into the dash or under the seat he STILL never made an attempt to bite!

Any of you that like snakes ever found a gopher snake that wasn't strike happy like this?!

2. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I have caught one or 2 that never tried to bite. They know if your scared or not and most of them after you handle them a while won't try to bite.

3. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I saw 4 different snakes in the rocks by the river over the weekend! They were harmless, but I like seeing them before they see me!

4. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    my hat goes off to you, i wont hardly touch a snake even if its dead

5. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    In all my experiences with snakes and reptiles I think when it comes down to it - they see everything as one of 3 things for the most part.

Food, Furniture, or Fear.

They'll decide pretty quick if you're Food or not. Then they have to decide - is this big critter gonna try to eat me?!

Once they realize you're neither food nor something to be feared - then you're warm cozy furniture to lay on and enjoy!

Buddy of mine used to have a 24 foot albino burmese python. Had a huge cage built into the wall for it. The thing never came out. Would just stick about 6-8 foot of her neck out and look around if anyone was in the room. She would take her head and rub it up against you like a cat does. Guess she was using you as a scratching post or something. She ate full grown feeder rabbits - bout 2 or 3 a month I think.

6. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    A couple of times while out fishing, I have had snakes attempt to get into the wire basket I have had bluegills in, and once a snake tried to get the fish while on the stringer.

Otherwise, when I have come across snakes(not often, thank God!) I go one way, and they go another way, or so I think, since I don't stick around to see which way they go.

7. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I caught a big black snake once but I was fishing for snake. He was stealing our chicken eggs from the nest. I punched a small hole in an egg, inserted a fishhook with a cord tied to a board on the chicken house and put it in the nest. Didn't take long to catch him, about half way down he had the fishhook sticking out his side.
    :cool2:

8. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Snakes are cold blooded (like Arlington:lol: ) and the snakes body temp may have been to low for the it to react quickly.

9. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Thats pretty cool. I have always loved reptiles and amphibeons. I have a owned quite a few snakes to include one rattler I caught when I was stationed in California and, a 9ft boa. Snakes are really cool animals and they got a really undeserved bad reputation.

10. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Ive caught quite a few of them but have never had a problem with them being mean. Ive caught a few bull snakes though that were really mean...

11. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    glad to hear a snake story that doesn't involve death via 12 ga. or BF-Goodrich. gopher snakes are pretty cool, out here in the east we call 'em pine snakes. also called bull snakes in other places.

12. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I love snakes. Every time I find one I put it in the crawl space under the house. Never have had a problem with rats and snakes don't chew up the wood work or make noise. I saw four water snakes when I was fishing last Sunday. We have a lot of Copperheads and Timber Rattlers here. I came in from hunting once and found a snake fang in the side of my rubber boot. Never did see the snake.

13. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Oh I've had lots of snakes, and worked in a few pet stores to boot. Used to go catching rattlers for fun in my teens. Caught a copperhead when I lived in KY once while out camping. A few years back a buddy brought a up red diamondback from Baha, 'bout 4 and half foot long. That was a PRETTY snake! He couldn't keep it so he gave it to me. I kept it for about 6 months or so, but couldn't just turn it loose as rattlers always return to the same place to nest and breed and I wasn't about to drive hundreds of miles to return it to its home range, so I ended up having to put it down and make a hat band out of it.... wish I knew what ever happened to that hat band! :crazy: One of the pet store I worked in had a 14 foot albino burmese and we'd lock it up in the bathroom for an hour os so to feed it a rabbit once a week. I've had a red tail boa ('bout 4 and a half footer), a reticulated python (about 3 feet), and god knows what all sorts of wild snakes I've caught over the years... gopher snakes are a type of bullsnake I believe, but not 100% sure on that, so don't quote me.

Anywho... Dunno how many gopher snakes I've caught over the years, ranging from about 1 foot to as big as almost 6 foot, but don't think I ever caught one that was this calm about it. I agree the temp was the most likely reason it was so docile. Got him in my glass jungle now though and he seems content. gonna have to get a heat lamp for him though before fall if I keep him that long. My oldest boy (6 yrs) is terrified of snakes... I keep trying to tel him that if he's gonna grow up in the country he's gonna have to get over his citylife fears of nature! LOL! At his age I was running around barefoot catching snakes, lizards, and what ever else crossed my path in our front yard!! :big_smile:

14. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    LMAO,Arlington you are something else.Snakes are just as scared as you are.I have had several snakes but don't have any now. My wife got bit by my Redtail boa because she stuck her hand in his cage and surprised him and he saw movement and thought it was supper.

15. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I like snakes as long as I KNOW they're not poisonous. I worked in a pet shop for a couple of years & got hooked on reptiles. Once, we had 7 snakes, 2 iguanas, 1 water dragon, & about 6 skinks(lizards). I just kept bringing home the "newest arrivals"! Finally, though, it got to be too much to try to feed & clean up after them, so we gradually fazed them out. But if I see a kingsnake or rat snake here in our yard, I leave em alone, so they'll stick around. (Helps with the rodent populations) And yes, I did get bit one time by our red tail boa, as well as by one of my kingsnakes. Both times involved feeding after dark, & my reflexes being too slow!!:eek:oooh:

16. AllenM

AllenM Guest

I think one of my favorite indiginous snakes is the California Mountain King, or tri-color kingsnake. Those things are pretty little buggers! The B&W kings are pretty cool too though. I'm hoping to run across one or both this summer.

17. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Well, as you know already, I generally like snakes, but DANG! Can't seem to drive 100 yards now without seeing one species or another road killed, and every time I turn around at the lake I'm finding shed skins! Ran over a rattler tonight myself on the way home! Been looking along the road sides in hopes of catching a small california king snake since they are so docile and it might help me get my oldest boy to quit being afraid of all snakes the way he is. The only snakes he needs to worry about around here is the buzz tails, and I brought home the one I killed tonight to he can see it tomorrow. I want to make sure he can recognize the pattern if he ever runs across one when I'm not there with him. Living in a small town like this, you never know when one might find its way into your back yard. I turned the gopher snake loose tonight in a field across the road when I got home from fishing because Becca said it keeps trying to force the lid on the terrarium and it was keeping her from sleeping. Well, wish me luck on finding a small king, and I hope that rattler tonight will be the only one I come across that ain't dead already!