Caught a pacu/ also cut trout as bait ?

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by pylodictis, Sep 30, 2006.

1. pylodictis

pylodictis New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    i was fishing on the mon 18th street boatlaunch and caught a 3lb amazonian pacu on cut mooneye. that's the fish the guy thought was a pirhana. i kept the fish because i knew it shouldn't have been there to begin with. i also notified the pa fish and game comission, but they didn't get back to me. i mold and cast my own replicas and this one should make an interesting piece. i will post a pic as soon as i load them on the computer. also caught a 9lb channel on the same bait

speaking of cut bait, has anyone ever used cut trout as bait for... anything? was thinking channels might go for it, but didn't want to waste my time if someone could rule it out. thanks.

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Brian - Welcome to the B.O.C.!:0a25: I have used dead Trout/cut a few times. I caught a couple Channels on the cut Trout. Fellow Pa. member "catchinghogs" has done well using live and dead Trout for Flatheads.

3. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I think I heard about that. I cant wait to see the pic. Congrats on the catfish ya' caught! We arent allowed to use gamefish asbait in pa just so you know. Look in the book. Bummer.

4. pylodictis

pylodictis New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    i went to the fish and game commission website and looked at the summary of fishing regulations regarding bait and found this

BAITFISH includes all forms of minnows; suckers, chubs, fallfish, lampreys, eels between 6 and 8 inches in length; gizzard shad 8 inches or less; and all forms of darters, killifishes and stonecats (except those listed as threatened or endangered species). Legally taken gamefish may be used as bait. It is unlawful to use or possess goldfish, comets, koi and common carp as baitfish while fishing.

besides, guys talk about using bluegills and smallmouths as bait here all the time. unless there's something more to it, it looks like we can.

5. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    I did not think that you could use gamefish as bait. :confused2:

6. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    It is legal to use game fish as bait.As long as it is season and it has been caught on rod and reel by legal means.You can also use trout for bait if you caught it at a trout pond as long as you have a receipt. Trout is very good bait I have caught my 2 biggest flatheads on live brook trout.

7. pylodictis

pylodictis New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    i believe i figured out how post pictures. this is the pacu i caught last month on the mon.

Attached Files:

8. mudkat

mudkat New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    never thought of usein trout

9. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I know here in SC you can use game fish as bait, but you have to count it towards your daily limit.

10. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    A paco-bet that was a suprise to bring in. They are pretty common in aquariums and get huge. So when most people buy them they don't have the means to keep them so they end up letting them go. but congrats on the catch!