Caught a flathead catfish in my cast net....

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Grimpuppy, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Ever wonder just how shallow flathead will go at night? Caught this in my throw net about 11:00 Saturday night while I was trying to get shad. He was 2 foot off the bank in 18 inches of water. Weighed 20 1/2 lbs. After releasing it, I spent 45 minutes repairing my net.

Attached Files:

2. PABowhunter4life

PABowhunter4life New Member

State:
    Blawnox, PA
    Doesn't surprise me one bit. My PB 22# flathead came in about 4.5-5 feet of water and I have seen some absolute GIANTS cruising the river in water that was no deeper than 2 feet.

3. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
  4. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Cool, thanks for sharing that Jay. I just learned to throw a net this year and have had a blast just in the ponds, have caught all kinds of fish including frogs and turtles, but no catfish yet. The shad are hard to find in the river (so far).

5. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

At night,I regularly catch them in water that,ll barely cover their backs!Except for actually beaching themselves,I don,t think there,s a limit on how shallow they,ll go!:wink:

6. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    my pb also came from a few feet from shore. 51.9 lbs! shane

7. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Was that flat just fat or full of eggs? Looks to be in real good shape.

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I bet he came to life when that net closed up around him.:crazy:

9. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    It was real fat. I would have to guess it was full of eggs, but I am not sure. It was very angry about being in the net :crazy:.

10. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
  11. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Sweet, very sweet. Thanks for the pics. and the story, I gotta start throwing my cast net more often! LOL

12. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Never got a Flatt in a cast net that was cool. Got Blues before one 25lbs trashed my net, spoonbill up to 35lbs and big carp buff and asians. That was a castnet cast of a life time, getting a flat lol.

13. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Seems like to me we have two different 'varieties' of flatheads around in the KY River; short squatty ones and the longer slimmer variety. That looks like a short squatty one to me.

14. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    That's cool! I couldn't imagine the thrashing it did in the castnet!

15. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I was at Kerr Dam at the spillway yrs ago throwing a 7fter for shad they were hard to get..I let it sink a little:wink: on top of a 40lb flathead!!!! I got it in my net that was the end of the net like to never got him out of there:tounge_out: I let him go..spectators weren't real happy about it, but they wouldnt have paid a hefty fine either now would they???:smile2: Grimpuppy did ya get any shad????:tounge_out: Way to let him go & grow!!!

16. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I catch most of mine within 5 feet of the bank with a pole, but I have never caught one with a net.:smile2:
    He does look real healthy, you should start targeting them a little more. I bet there is an untapped resource in there.:wink::cool2:

17. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Sam - I managed to net one 4" shad.:sad2:

Kyle - Maybe when I get back you can come up and we can hit that spot. It is a pretty popular fishing spot, although no one was fishing there that night.

18. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thats a great story...lot of fun getting that net untangled, I'm sure!

19. jsthumb

jsthumb New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    You know I have caught small channels and blues in my nets before and they will slap demolish a cast net in no time at all, but I couldnt even imagine trying to repair a net that caught a 20 lb flat. Probably would have been easier to just replact the net. I bet that was fun to try and pull over the side of the boat. Thanks for the story

20. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    Last time out I got a 13lb flat in the net with a 9 in shad in his mouth and about 30 other shad that were all that size. Man was that sweet!