Caught a few today.

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by kat in the hat, Apr 22, 2007.

1. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just got back from a full day of fun and excitement. Didn't catch anything huge, but caught probably 50 small channels. Most of them we brought home for pond stockers. Caught a couple of good keepers, and some striped bass which were gobbling up shad heads off the bottom. The real fun though was the conditions on the lake. Most of the day the water was fairly calm, but a T-storm moved through, and the wind picked way up. When it came time to head back to the ramp, there were white caps, and swells 3-4 feet high. I'm no sea captain, but my buddy thought it would be a good idea for ME to run us back across the lake to the ramp! We were surfing in an 18' jonboat. All I could do was try to keep the boat on top of a swell as long as possible because when the wave would break, the bow would go under water, and the motor would come completely out of the water. If I would've got turned side ways, we would've capsized for sure. Anyways, here's a couple of pics of our catch today.

Attached Files:

2. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    That's a nice striper, thanks for the pictures sounds like ya had fun.

3. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Here's a couple of pics of the waves. Kinda hard to tell from the photos, but it was very rough going.

Attached Files:

4. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Good grief looks too rough for me! :tounge_out:

5. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    That's what I thought! No choice though. Had to get back. Those were the "mild" waves. Had to really work the throttle to stay on top of the big ones, and couldn't take pics.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    That's a good way to end up dead some time...

You never "have" to go anywhere in a boat. If the water conditions aren't safe (or, more importantly, if *you* don't think they're safe, given your equipment and experience), then don't go.

Suppose one of those big waves came over the bow and swamped the boat. Your odds of living to tell about the day's great catfishing drop considerably at that point... I'd much rather be sitting on the shore waiting for the storm to pass than out in the middle of it, in a swamped boat, in 60 degree water, wondering how I'm going to get out of there alive...

7. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    You are right, and this lake is kinda notorious for being rough due to how it lays, and nothing to break the wind. The storm had passed hours before, and didn't realize how rough it had got 'till we were in the thick of it. Guess we coulda camped out, but we might've been there for days. Just had to take it slow and easy.

8. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Thanks for the report Matt. Good catch, but that water looked a l'il scary. Glad you got back in one piece, bro :smile2:. BTW, nice hat HOT ROD :lol:.

9. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Great report and great pics! Thanks for posting!:smile2:

10. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yeah matt becareful out there :lol: wouldnt want to loose that hat , iv been on some really choppy water only thing worse than white caps are 6' swells best way to deal with either is know yer boat for one and match yer speed to the water or wind i also put my passenger or weight shift the boat to where the nose stays high and ride it out too a safer location , you ever see the movie the perfect storm . scary

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Nice fish, and rough water.

12. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    LOL Chuck. I DID lose the hat earlier in the day before the water got rough, so I went back and got it. I couldn't just litter like that. Hoping to lose it on the river a night.:cross: I did a good job of staying on top of the swells. Plus Tom is 450# plus. He was at the back of the boat, and did a good job of keeping the nose high. Had to pay close attention, but we made it fine.

13. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    I was faced with the same situation last spring at Baldwin Lake in Illinois. Those Power Plant lakes are designed to catch the wind and can become treacherous to boaters very quickly.

14. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    Nice fish and glad you made it back just fine.