Caught a couple fish that were infested with worms

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by jhoward, Aug 10, 2009.

1. jhoward

jhoward New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City Metro
    I was at Lake Thunderbird this weekend and caught a couple of fish that were infested with worms. Is this normal? Thanks.

2. harley5247

harley5247 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I catch some at Thunderbird that have some gray looking worms around their mouth. Is that what you are talking about?

3. jhoward

jhoward New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City Metro
    No, on the inside.

4. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Never really seen worms inside the bellies. Gonna go do some checking an see if I can find some pic's on the net about this subject. Thanks for the info.

5. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl
    dang, I think I'd shy away from eating them.

:eek:oooh:

6. Munk

Munk New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Just cook them longer in the skillet.

7. Bullheaded

Bullheaded New Member

State:
    Norman Ok
    We caught 13 channels out of thunderbird two weeks ago and one of them had a bunch of worms. I know it wont hurt you if you cook them good but i still tossed those two fillets. I normally dont see them in catfish but i see them in bass all the time.

8. Southern Woman

Southern Woman New Member

State:
    Texas
    I hate to hear this but I remember that my dad talked about it years ago and said it was not safe to eat fish infested with worms.
    Better have them for bait not dinner!

9. SW Hunter

SW Hunter New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Bety I agree I dont think I would eat them. I just wouldnt try it unless someone told me that its okay to eat them.

10. rigrunner(236)

rigrunner(236) New Member

State:
    Ft Cobb Lake, Oklahoma
    I would never eat fish with worms. There's plenty more fish that don't have em to worry with the one's that do. My 2 cents.

11. Southern Woman

Southern Woman New Member

State:
    Texas

The above web site is very informative, but I think they could leave out the part about" fish for the table helps the budget out." I think that after spending a small fortune for rods, tackle, bait, boats (we even bought a lake house near the fishing) that we could have eaten out at the Red Lobster or other fish resturants for life for the same price......:wink: but not the fun. LOL

12. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    My brother caught a flat last week end that was so skinny his rib bones were coming out the side he had no meat on him at all.He also had some bugs on the outside of him that looked like little stingrayas or some thing.Any one else ever seen this.

13. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    If i'm cleaning any kind of fish to eat an i find worms in it ,its going into the trash ,i have not been that hungry yet to eat worms an know it :wink::smile2:

14. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl
    I think the worms are suppose to help put the fish on the table, not be on the table

15. Magnus777

Magnus777 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I don't care if you fry a fish till it's crispy-crunchy like burned bacon...if it's got worms in it, and I know it, I'm not eating it! Just like rabbits...in the summer they get wolf worms that burrow under their skin. Even if the rabbit is dead, you can see the skin convulsing, and working alive because of the worms. People say after you skin them, and get rid of the worms that it's safe to eat. Not me! An animal is infected by parasites because something is WRONG. Plenty of other good things to eat without having to choke down worms....even if I have to eat the bark off trees. Barf! :eek:oooh:

16. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    you get bad fish this time of year and in the fall from waters that are stale, this often happens in ponds and creeks and some lakes that dosen`t get runoff, theres a good chance the other fish may have been wormy to, the worms may have been too small too see. during the dry part of the year fish bigger waters or water with some flo

17. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That would just be the typical worms disease.. ive seen several cases in the last few skipjack ive cleaned.:eek:oooh: