Caught a bunch at Coralville yesterday 7/19

Discussion in 'IOWA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Burwell40, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    The Mrs. and I caught our limit yesterday at Coralville. All caught drifting with shad...took about 5 hours. Hope the attachment show up.

Attached Files:

2. Gabowman

Gabowman Member

State:
    Georgia
    Now that looked like you guys had fun. Hope the Mrs. didnt out fish ya too bad too! :big_smile: Anyways, I'd bet you'll clean more of 'em than she does too. What were you guys baiting with?

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

man what a catch, I bet you two had a ball.

4. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Sounds like a good day out with the little lady. Congrats.

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Nice fish brother, looks like yall got some good eatin for a while.

6. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Man that is a nice looking bunch of channel cats. Looks like you had 5 hrs. of fun. I've never ventured up to Coralville to fish,but after seeing that catch,may have to bring the little woman & come up & give it a try sometime. I live in SE Iowa & fish the Mississippi River exclusively. Been a while since I've had a day like you had. Seems like the cats down here have come up with a severe case of lock jaw!LOL

7. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey Mike,
    Nice catch!! Looks like you have alot of good eaten there.

8. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    The shad hatch is pretty thick right now. We caught most of the fish on little 2" or so shad. I'd gob 7 or 8 of them on a hook (through their sides) and hang on. I would have preferred using bigger cut shad cause they stay on the hook a little better. Big shad heads has been equalling bigger fish for sure. The problem is that it seems like all I can find now are the small shad. Oh well.

Also, this was a wierd day in that storms were passing through just north of us in Cedar Rapids. We were watching it pouring down rain on bluffs just a few miles away. Suddenly...and I mean suddenly...the wind switched from southeast to 20-25 mph northeast wind. I figured that part would only last a few minutes till the storm got by but it actually blew like that for more than an hour. We went out in the more open water, tossed the drift sock and some bait out and started hauling in channels left and right.

9. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    Looks like a great time. i prolly need to head up there to test my luck, bad part is i work all week, and the weekend is usually when the pleasure boaters are out on the lake.

10. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    mike, very impressive. you must be retired or i need your job.... dave

11. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Every once in a while, it just looks too good not to go fishing. I went to work for 1 1/2 hours and I coudn't stand it anymore. Yes, I'm fortunate that I'm able to take vacation with short notice sometimes.