Caught A Big One! But It Wasnt A Catfish!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by trfoster, May 11, 2006.

1. trfoster

trfoster New Member

State:
    north carolina
    WELL,This is the 1st for me!I was fishing 2 days ago and I was fishing for cats as usual,on bottom with brim head and I was triming back some limbs that were out over the water that was in my way.When my bell on the rod started dinging,I looked around and my rod was bent over double,almost touching the water!So I ran over and jerked back on the rod,Then the rod jerked back on me!OH YEAH! COME TO PAPA! Well,he shot down river just as hard and fast as he could go!My drag whineing,REIIIIIIIING,He shot parelle with the bank getting my line caught up in the limbs I was trying to prune back out of the way!When all of a sudden he stop! but still pulling like crazy!I thought my line had become snagged on the inside of the cap or something,I poped the cap and he had run my line slap out!I just relined it with new 20 pound test earlier,thank goodness,I then worked my line out of the tree limbs and all of a sudden he quit pulling,He had me caught under something,well I have learned over the yrs when this happens,its best to just set and wait,let the fish come out on his own. After about 2 mins sure enough,my line went slack and started back up river at a very,very fast pace!Well after about 30 mins of fighting this is what i caught!-15lb 4oz-33 inch long SRIPER BASS!! GO FIGURE!

Attached Files:

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Great lookin catch!!!!!

Aren't those stripers fun?!?!?!?!

3. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Nice fish, Timothy :big_smile: I"ve never caught a striper, but would like to someday.

4. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Timothy,

That's a Great Fish! I know that was exciting!.

Ain't they fun! Week before last, I caught a 14 lb Hybrid Stripper on crappie rig, 9 ft rod with 4 lb line. Best 15 minutes I've ever had fishing. I think they are the most fighting fish there is... even more than trout. Since then caught several 2 to 4 lb and several more have broke my line after hanging up in the brush pile. Not catching but few crappie but I'm not complaining.
    :big_smile:

5. Darrell

Darrell New Member

State:
    Illinois
    WOW - what a read! Thanks for sharing and nice fish!

D

6. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Nice catch, I wouldnt mind one of them tugging on my line.

7. Pillpeddler

Pillpeddler New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Caught a 14" hybrid & thought it was gonna take my pole. Shame I had to turn it back (wasnt 15"), I hear they have a high mortality if you play them a long time. I'd rather send'em to a skillet than to the bottom.:big_smile:

8. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    You never know what will be on the end of your line good fish . Is it a mount or the skillet? nice pics. I imagine the thrill of the fight.

:eek:oooh:

9. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thats a great looking striper. I hope to hook into one this year that size!

10. kyblue49

kyblue49 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i catch alot of strippers and wiperss fishing for cats and i love them. its an added bonus to the day when the cats arent biting.

11. trfoster

trfoster New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Unfortunately he died shortly after i got him in,so he was fillayed and but in the freezer.I noticed he had a few marks on his side, not sure if it came from when he got hung up or what but i thought it was a little strange that he died so quickly.if not i would of surely released him.

12. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Congrats on the catch and thanks for sharing the story and pics!!!

13. trfoster

trfoster New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I have a question, Is it common for these type bass to hit on brim head or cut bait,when i opened him up saw he had been feeding on baby catfish.I DO THIS WHEN I KEEP SOME TO EAT ON,SO I CAN SEE WHAT THE FISH ARE FEEDING ON AND LIKE.Its amazing what you find sometimes.THANKS FOR ALL THE COMMENTS GUYS! IT WAS A GREAT FIGHT!

14. Justin

Justin New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Nice catch bro! I caught a 14 pound Hybrid Striper one time on a shad head. I've never had any catfish put up the fight that hybrid did, I can imagine a real striper would put up one heck of a fight.:big_smile:

15. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    What a great fish!! I'll bet he was a blast to fight. Thanks for sharing that with us!! Happy fishing!!

16. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    NICE FISH and a nice read!
    Bill