Caught a 8 lb channel catfish on the Rock River, and then this..

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by Norm, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Norm

Norm New Member

State:
    Freeport, IL
    Friday night 7/7/06, I caught a nice 8 lb channel using cut bluegill on the Rock River in Riverfront Park. I was very happy, because I have been skunked for several outings recently. Then about 1 1/2 hours later at about 12:30 AM, the guys about 100 ft away (where I was fishing last friday night), caught a 35 lb flathead catfish with live bluegill.

It sucks to be happy about catching a nice fish, and then have someone catch a gigantic fish right next to you, it sort of deflating. However, it is nice to know, I am fishing a good spot for a potentially great catch.

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Brother be happy to be catching fish at all. They are going into spawn here and fishing is slow. Heck, fishing has been slow for me all year. I would love to catch an 8# fish. Hope you get that fish next time out, and make sure you take pics and post about it for us.

3. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    brother...a catch is a catch....lol

4. bonapetit2

bonapetit2 New Member

State:
    illinois
    An 8# channel is a sweet catch...congrats.
    As for the flathead outdoing you, don't sweat it, it will be your turn soon if you stick with it.

5. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I'd still be happy if I were you. If you get out there you'll have your chcane at a nice big Flattie.

6. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Take heart... My best cat so far this year has only been about 2 & 1/2 pounds!

7. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona

8. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    That's bigger than anything i've caught this year. But I understand the frustration. LOL

9. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    congrats, 8# is a nice kitty.

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Congrats,an 8lber is still a nice catch.

11. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Been out around 50 times this year catfishing and have caught 2 fish. One was 3 lbs. and one was 7 lbs. 48 times without a fish. My buddy and his wife caught 6 the last time I was with them and I didn't get a bite. Don't be discouraged. That's why they call it fishing, not catching.

12. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Norm, good luck on catching a good catfish. I haven't caught one that big in a few years. This year nothing over 5-lbs.

13. live22skate

live22skate New Member

State:
    Arizona
    be happy, the past 5 trips ive gone, ive been skunked :smile2:

14. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Give me an 8lber, my biggest so far this year is 5.3lb. Good catch.

15. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

I've personally seen 2 flats over 40lbs taken this year on the lower Rock River near Moline. Both were caught on live blue gills in 3-5 feet of water. Keep trying, there is one out there for you.

Ray

16. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Gee you mean they grow fish in the 8# range.So far what I 've been catching (which is slim to none ) sure isn't no match to that 8#.If I'm real luck I might be safe to say my biggest this year would be maybe 3# and that would be pushing it. Don't worry about that big Flat if there one in there ,theres most likely more. Just go out there ,be patiant,and someday your day will come. FISH ON BROTHER!!