Caught a 30 lb 10 oz Catfish TODAY on Gardner Lake !!!

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Charlie365, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Charlie365

Charlie365 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hooked a 30 pound, 10 ounce Catfish at Gardner Lake today !!!

I could hardly lift him out of the water to weigh him for the picture.

Man was he BIG, but didn't put up much of a fight really......he was already dead, may he rest in peace.

Can't imagine what he would be like on the line, and I couldn't tell what he died from.

Sorry fella's, I just knew the headline of this thread would get all y'all's attention and I couldn't resist. But it's absolutely TRUE, at least in the Bill Clinton sense of the word.

Charlie

Attached Files:

2. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    congrats !!! THANX'S FOR SHARE'N...:cool2:

3. Charlie365

Charlie365 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I also caught what looked like Freshwater NEMO and he was alive, NOT dead. I let him go since he's a movie star and all.......

Attached Files:

4. dragster2006

dragster2006 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    thats a nasty but nice fish there! kool pics! i saw somethin like that a few months ago at osage state lake except this one i estimate was about 20 pounds maybe 25 and he was pretty torn up lol must have died from old age too it was horrid! :tounge_out::eek:oooh:

5. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Too bad he died. That would have been a nice fight on rod and reel.

6. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    It's a flathead.

7. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    after a closer look i think you may be right. the bottom jaw is out farther than the top.

8. cat-tracker

cat-tracker New Member

State:
    arizona
    I also agree.

9. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    i agree jj looks like a nice flattie a few diff angle shots would determine it sux it was dead tho nice fish tho regardless:wink:

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congrats on the great fish man! :big_smile: rollo

11. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I agree that it was a flathead. Its encouraging to actually hear of one coming from Gardner. As many years as I've fished out there and I have never caught or even seen one. You'll hear people say their brother's uncles nephew's 3rd cousin caught one. But I don't usually believe them. :eek:oooh:

12. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Now that's a nice fish there Charlie. Thanks for the post an great pic.

13. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i think some of Shelby's kin had the record for a while. if not him it was someone i fished with from the BOC.

14. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I think it was Keith's kin.

15. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Broken at the Bowersock on the KAw then at the weir dam most recently broken at the Mined Land Wildlife Area. They were gonna bring that last fish to Cabela's Aquarium but it died.Dennis B says there's flatheads in Gardner that's good enough for me.:confused2::crazy:

16. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    thats right, thanks. i dont know how i couldnt remember it cuz ive heard it 10 times if i heard it once. :smile2:

17. biglope

biglope New Member

State:
    Kansas
    are we sure that this is a fish that was not caught somewhere else and then someone tried to put it into gardner lake.

I too have fished gardner lake for years and have never seen or heard of one coming out of there. Maybe someone tried to transport the fish and could not get it there in time.

18. Charlie365

Charlie365 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Actually, I wondered the very same thing.

In fact, I asked the fish about this, but he said nothing because he was....... DEAD !!!

Sorry, couldn't resist the joke, but I myself would seriously doubt someone would try to transport/release a catfish this size into Gardner, BUT it's not absolutely impossible.

Gardner has great habitat and plentiful food (sunfish, bluegill, etc.) to grow BIG cats and I don't think they're fished for by very many people lakewide.

Charlie

19. kscowboy

kscowboy New Member

State:
    Kansas
    ya beet me to it! to bad though, a 65# channel would be a new world record!

20. kscowboy

kscowboy New Member

State:
    Kansas
    sorry don't know why i was thinkin 65#s. it would still be a monster channel regardless. but it was definitely a flatty.