Caught a 180 pounder!

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Bill in SC, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Caught myself! First circle hook I ever used. Never in over 50 years of fishing have I ever had to have as fish hook removed by a doctor. I pulled with pliers and worked on it with a single edge razor blade but it was real deep in my hand so I gave up and went to the emergency room. I was setting the rods in the boat and the hook was in the hook holder on the rod. I grabbed three rods to put in the boat and the circle hook got me. Never had that happen with J hooks in the hook holder. Dadgum circle hooks have my undue respect now. Click the thumbnail pic to see the gore.
    Bill in SC

Attached Files:

2. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    ahh man I've been there! Hope it heals up quick so you can get back out there...

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    OUCH! That may be a state record! Glad your okay brother.

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Cowboy up and get back to fishin! LOL! :wink:

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Well, that's why I tried to remove it at the boat landing, so I could go ahead and fish. :) I did load the boat with no problems. We had fished all night and they bit pretty good. The set hooks guys mopped up, but no hawgs were caught that I saw. I had slept three hours in the camper and had the boat tied up in the river. I woke up, walked down to the boat to head back out and, WHAM! Heck of a way to wake up! :) I'll be back at 'em probably Monday. Wouldn't miss church for a catfish! :)
    BB in SC

6. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    i have been hooked up several times in my jacket or pfd. because the way i have my rods stored on my boat. i have now been storing my hook on the reel behind the reel seat (the under side of the reel) now my hook in a safe place out of the way. i would feel bad if a guest on my boat would get a hook stuck in them.

7. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Man I bet that hurt but congrats on the catch jk

8. peglegreb

peglegreb New Member

State:
    s.c.
    well i wont leave my pard like that any more. so get well sone BB.

9. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    All I can say knock on wood I won't ever have it happen to me.Hope it heals fast.

10. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Ouch! That looks deep. Last summer i went to grab my tackle box and one hook from a treble hook was sticking out of it and it sunk in my pinky finger. Went in past the barb. My grandpa always said if it goes in past the barb then dont bother pulling it out. You have to run it through your finger. So i cut the hook off as close as i could to my finger and pushed it all the way through. Man i was freaking out but it worked good and didnt hurt much at all.'

Hope that one heals up good for ya. At least it doesnt an old rusty hook.

11. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Man that looks painful.

12. Pacman

Pacman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I had thought about getting up with you to fish next Thurs or Fri, but can you resist the chance to catch a 300 lber?:smile2:

13. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    DANG!!! Man when You Do something You go ALL Out that's for Sure. You Be one Tough Dude Bill. Get Well My Friend.J.D.

14. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Thats the reason I started storing my rods with the hooks attached to the reels and not the eyelets on the rod. That way I can grab the rod and not have to worry about grabbing a hook. :eek:oooh:

15. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    you might have to check with the staff but you should get a medal for weighing in a top fish for your state

16. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    had to hurt like heck!!
    i hooked myself in the back of the head but my wife is MEAN enuff to cut it out for me...i think she enjoyed it. That one bled alot

17. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I said it once and will say it again...circle hooks aint for everyone. lol, jk.
    Glad you got it out ok, that looked painful.

18. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    When I got home, my nephew said, "Why didn't you drop your hand in the water and jig the hook out with your new unsnagging technique?" All I could do was laugh! :) Surprisingly enough, there is hardly ANY pain in it today. There will be NO interruption to my fishin'!
    No Dewayne, I think you are safe to fish with me! :)
    BB in SC

19. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Man Bill that sure was an ugly fish you had there.LOL I have never had it happen but have seen it happen and glad you are ok.

20. garrick

garrick New Member

State:
    SC
    I don't mean to be a smartmouth, but. . .
    this honestly convinced me to try circles. They seem to set right in there really easily!