Caught 1 in the trap

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by jlingle, Mar 5, 2007.

1. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Well, we checked the trap and finally had a hog. He wasn't a monster, but what he lacked in size he sure made up for in attitude. This was one hateful pig. I really don't know what he weighed... I ain't all that great at guessing the wild hogs. Who knows, maybe 150? 175? Anyway, he'll be nice table fare. We cleaned him and we plan on smoking the rascal. He had pretty small cutters, but I'm pretty sure he would've figured out a way to use 'em on us. He was pretty upset. Tore up our trap a little bit too. Anyway, here's a few pictures of him. That's my buddy Tony standing next to him.

Attached Files:

2. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Nice, thanks for sharing. Glad ya got to see a little tude out of em...I'm tired of guys posting they kill em with a rubber band an a paper clip. Makes me feel like I must not of been hunting boar.....wish I was close enough for a samitch....but happy eating.
    :big_smile:

3. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Nice porkchop what did you have the trap baited with?

4. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    We had it baited with corn. We usually pour hog wild over the corn. Or, we'll soak the corn in beer or raspberry jello mix. both are extremely smelly & the piggies seem to not be able to resist.

5. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    smokin that thing might be the best route if it was a boar.
    we usually sell the boars we catch and eat sows or pigletts. I have a hard time getting over the stench of the boars.
    another thing that we have done is castrate the boars and feed them out for couple months. the castrating is the hard part since u usually have to talk one of ur buddies into getting into the pen with u and the hog.

6. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jerrod thats a nice lookin hog I bet it taste better than it looks, when are you gonna invite me down for a hog hunt? Im dieing to try out this new crossbow!!! anyways thanks for the photos looks like you and you bubby had a good time trappin that one.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jerrod thanks for sharing the story and picks of your hog. I would bet hog hunting is really a challenge.:lol:

8. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    James you got real friends...help ya castrate a wild boar. What do ya tazer em first? LOL I'm starting to start to feel like a real sissy reading the hog hunting threads.
    :big_smile:

9. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Nice looking hog just the right eating size I would Bar B que that pig:cool2:

10. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    we dont tazer them, we feed them for about 2 weeks first then they are slightly more use to us. Just hop in the stock trailer with them and grab ahold and get them down. its tough but we have done 200 lb boars like this. One thing is u dont want to fall or they will try and hurt u.

11. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I'm sure that hog's gonna be great eating. Congrats on the catch. Thanks for sharing too!

12. catfishhunter17

catfishhunter17 New Member

State:
    indiana
    how do u make the trap thanx jr

13. catfishhunter17

State:
    indiana
    what kinda bait do u use ?

14. catfishhunter17

State:
    indiana
    can u send me plans to make that trap

15. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Just google hog trap plans and you'll get more plans than you'll ever be able to use. We use a pretty basic redneck type of trap. It has a gate made of rebar with a spring that holds it shut, with a frame made of rebar as well. The rest of the trap is hog panel. Just weld the hog panel together everywhere that it touches, and you're almost ready. For a trip mechanism, once again we're rednecks, we just wedge a stick in the door, tie a string to the stick and run the string through the back of the trap about 3" off the bottom. Eventually, the hog will bump the string and pull the stick out of the door and the door will shut him in. Crude, but effective. The downside of this string method is that a mad pig will generally mutilate the string. He'll chew the heck out of it for some reason, and we have to replace it nearly everytime we catch a pig. The upside, it's ridiculously cheap and easy to replace.

We use corn for bait. Pour raspberry jello mix over the corn & the pigs will not leave it alone, guaranteed.

16. lagarto

lagarto New Member

State:
    Florida
    I live on the border--here in Fla--of a giant, miles and miles of protected wetlands/prairie. The guy next to me (100 acres) puts out 1000lbs of corn in feeders for pigs and deer each week, yet shoots maybe 1-2 a year. I have to say that I live in a hog-hunter's paradise, I have stepped out on my front porch and shot several over the past years in my front yard! Anyway, I used to trap them years ago, found that if you set out a small trail (2-3") of corn as far away as 50 ft, any passing pig that finds it will follow the trail into the trap, worked much better for me than relying on smell of the bait.

I caught a pregnant one years ago, raised it's babies in a small pen fed entirely on corn, still couldn't get the smell out of the meat! Maybe I'm just picky or not doing it right.

Now i keep a few pot bellied pigs that were given to me, every time one goes into heat, I have a heck of a time keeping the wild boars out of there, they shove themselves under the field fence to get in. Makes for an easy shot, they get confused when the pot bellies don't run away and stand there huffing and puffing and staring. Pretty fun stuff, my 13 yr old shot her first one that way. Just some pig stories, I have a lot of them!

KS

17. Crawdad

Crawdad New Member

State:
    Mid-Missouri
    Actually, the taser isn't for the hog. It's for the buddy you want to go in & castrate that boer!

18. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I smoked a wild boar once. the smell and taste did'nt bother me, but i could'nt breathe right for weeks!! and, it was hell keeping it lit.
    :lol: