Cattin on the cape fear for 3-29-06

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by joe0580, Mar 29, 2006.

1. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    went down to ramp this afternoon and caught 2 shad. at dark set out 4 rods and right away caught a 20 olb blue and some smaller ones. some guys i know went down river to jug and they came back up 2 hours later with 10 over 20 lbs each. used cut shad and were down about 3 bends before sugar loaf. hope to see some of you soon. i keep you up to date about shad too.

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    We're fishing out of lock 2 Friday morning.

3. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Good to hear that some are being caught! I'll be hitting the river this weekend over by Burgaw again, hopefully this warm trend will have them on an upswing still. The cattoon is supposed to be ready, and I'm itching for a blue! I'd even take one of those tiny 20's you guys are catching up there!...lol

4. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey Joe,
    Where exactly is Sugar Loaf? I was with my dad one day in October 2005 at Lock 2 and saw you there and you said a good spot would be about a 15 minute boat ride down river around a sand bar or s/t? Just curious...I don't fish the Cape Fear often so I am not too familiar with it. Thanks!

5. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    ok here is an update for today. the shad have come in some. caught 9 in just under an hour in the fast water near locks. sawa guy fishing fresh cut shad in a boat not more than 50 yards from catching cats in the 20 lb range every cast. he didnt even have time to catch new bait for the cats biteing so fast. am going to try cattin' in the next day or two.

6. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey Joe,
    I am thinking bout going out there tomorrow to try some. Got a question...How hard would it be to load my pontoon back up due to the fast flowing water out of the dam? Also, what is the best method of obtaining bait-netting, fishing for them or bringing some from home?

7. bigcatwannabe

bigcatwannabe New Member

State:
    rowland, nc
    hey jo, this is pat, i stopped with daniel at your house last weekend. i was just wondering if the shad bite had picked up any

8. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I have put my boat in there at lock two with the water WAY up and it wasnt a problem, just be carefull. The side of the ramp towards the dam the ramp isnt too good so put the boat in more on the downriver side of the ramp. Joe has told me stories of people having to get towed out of the river because they got stuck. I have never had a problem but thats probably because he told me about the ramp.

9. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks Jay,
    I took it out Sat and Sunday and didn't have a problem.
    Joe said if I stayed more toward the dam side I would be OK.
    The other side he said was cracked when it got pushed by the dozer.
    I had a little trouble getting the boat back on the trailer because of the swift current. Had to get way over toward the dam and let the current push me into the trailer path while holding it straight. But all in all, not bad at all.

10. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Huh, I thought he said the dam side was the bad one. I just stayed in the middle. My boat only weighs like 1200#'s so I am sure I could get out of the rut if got stuck anyways. Well thats good that you got the boat off and on ok. You should try putting your boat in on the neuse where I fish, there is probably at least double the current there, even when the water is down. It makes it fun putting the boat on, you have to drive in at an angle, very hard to do, but when you get down the timing its fine.

11. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I don't think I would be able to pull my pontoon out of the rut if it got stuck though...lol. I was concerned my ZR2 wouldn't be able to pull the pontoon out of the water the other day but it did. Just trying to be careful with it because I'm having to pay for this one, not my parents any more.

12. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I bet the Neuse is pretty tight to navigate isn't it?

13. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    The neuse can get tricky in some places, if you dont know the river or if your boat doesnt draft very shallow you will have problems. Down by new bern its a lot deeper and you can fish that, but once you get about 2 miles upriver from weyerhauser it will start to get interesting.