Cattin For Kids

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Aug 24, 2008.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm thinking about trying to put a fishing day on the muskingum river together called, " Cattin For Kids". It will be a one day event, and im hoping i can get some help with this.. Right now its just an idea, and I have never done anything of this sort. Was thinking in the line of getting the ODNR involved, and having a hands on type of event to teach basic catfishing techniques and rigging. What do you all think? I'm open for suggestions, like I said, this has been an idea for a while, but it will remain just that unless I get my feet wet.....rollo

2. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Jason, I am trying to put a kids event together for next year and have been really surprised how the community I live in has wanted to help. Just move forward with your ideas and I am sure it will come together. If there are any questions you may have please feel free to give me a PM and I will try to help you out if I can. Let me be the first to thank you for your time and effort on the project you are describing. Good Luck to ya!

3. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Awesome idea! I'd be willing to pitch in with a lending hand too! Just lmk when ya wanna try an do this :)-

4. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Sounds like a great idea Jason. If ya get the ball rolling on this and need a hand with anything just give me a holler. I would be glad to help out.

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My biggest concern of course is the funding for it. I can't possibly do what I want without the donation end of companys etc. I would like to be able to supply a rod and reel for each kid involved along with some basic tackle. I want it to be hands on, but want them to leave with what they need to be able to start catfishing. Not every adult is an outdoorsman as we know, this would be a great way to introduce the sport to those that lack that background. ... If im going to do this, I want to be able to give what I have in mind to it. glad to hear there are others thinking the same thing.. goodluck to you as well, i will be talking to you doug.... rollo

6. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    That's a great idea! The children would totally be hooked on fishing with a new rod an real! I truely believe we have to start somewhere to get the kids now a days to even go fishing! In the past several years I have seen the fishing drop off on the younger generations! I'll try an help in anyway that I can rolo just lmk!

7. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    I was just thinking here an might have an idea on the new fishing rod an reels. It wouldn't be that hard for each adult to bring one item to the event! Heck I would toss in a couple new ones myself.

8. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    Hey Rollo, have you tried talkin to a local bait shop or maybe an outdoor store that is close to home. Or maybe even a big name place, i know they are always out to help kids get into the sport. The only thing is that no matter which way you do it, its gonna cost some $$$. We did this for four years at a local lake and it took off really well, we had a lil demonstration on casting and reeling in. Then they were told to go fish and all the kids had a blast. they were catchin everything from little bluegills to some pretty nice cats.

Just holler at me if you need any help, i know i cant be there to help set this thing up but i will help any other way i can.

9. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    Cool I would like to help any way I can.
    MY BUDDY WOULD HELP US GET A DISCOUNT ON RODS AND TACKLE . IM SURE. An I will donate time an $$$.

10. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    When I was doing the cub scout thing with my son we had a fishing derby every year. We are lucky enough to have a Cabelas and Gander Mt. in the area and both gladly donated every year. If you have either in your area try them.

11. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    rollo i would talk to buckeye outdoors and wal-mart to see if they could help out

12. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I would agree with this, but Buckeye Outdoors isnt that big but they may donate something. Try Gander Mountain also or let me know what your looking for and I can call them I have one thats about 10 min from where I live at (and a Wal-Mart)

13. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    MAYBE IF YA GOT AHOLD OF ZEBCO CO THEY MAY PROMOTE IT ALL WORTH A TRY ANYWAY

14. odog127

odog127 New Member

State:
    ohio
    rollo, I am a member of the Hamilton Optimist Youth Ranch and it is not easy to get a deal like this together. Right now is the time to start working on letters and getting donations together. Oct 22 is the end of fiscal year and most companies figure out their budget knowing what they can spend. If you start chasing leads now you may be able to get what you need in time for your event. Check with your local bait shops about supplying bait to give to the kids. You might be able to get this cheap or even free. I have heard of Bass Pro Shops have a rod n reel trade in day I believe they refurbish the rods and reels and donate them out to charities and local events( I am not 100% sure on this.) I know our local Walmart helps us out. Wal Mart, Meijer and some of your local buisness will donate or help with something just to look good in the communities eyes. You need any Ideas send me message and I will get some of my Info and share it with you.

15. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    It seems a few have posted on this but hasn't taken off like I had thought it would. Come on guys ante up I'm sure there are a lot of good idea's just waiting to be heard