Cats on the rocks

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by n2fishn, Feb 23, 2008.

1. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Just seeing how everyone fishes for cats during pre-spawn.We catch a bunch of lake cats during this time of yr when they are on the rocks.The pattern we have learned is where the crappies are spawning close to rock banks you will find cats.And when you find crappies you will find the Gar and the cats are right below them.We use shrimp with little a small split shot weight and cast the banks in about 2-8' of water. We mostly catch and release this time of the yr but we have had days where two of us can catch over 50 cats in a day.Our biggest out of my boat is a 24lb channel but we catch many over 10-20lb.The best part about it is the fight you get from them that time of yr.Our best time is early to mid May most years.

2. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    What are we waiting on Tom? Lets go!!!!

3. koakley1

koakley1 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Sounds great Tom! welcome to the BOC.

4. Menth

Menth New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Where are these rocks? :smile2:

5. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Be more than happy to take you Keith this year.I fish mainly on Perry, Clinton and Melvern and it will start around late April through May most years.
    I very seldom see anyone fish this way when we are out thats why I asked if anyone does it.

When you throw that shrimp up in the rocks and start bouncing it back when they hit it it's like a freight train.

6. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Sounds like fun , Im sooooooooo ready.......:sad2:

7. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I can't wait on this weather to leave.

8. MealsOnReels

MealsOnReels New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Tom
    We have done very well on the rocks using leaches.
    Use a bobber and fish about 3 feet deep.
    We sometimes get 3 or 4 cat on the same leach.

9. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Jim that sounds like fun.Seeing that bobber go down with a big cat on the other end would be a hoot.What lakes do you fish Jim?

10. Orlando

Orlando New Member

State:
    kansas
    I'm learning a lot from you guys ...getting me all excited to get to the lake but will probably forget everything before I get there.
    Thanks for the tips!!!

11. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Welcome to the BOC Reed...Yes there is so much info you will be a master in no time at all.

Good luck fishing in 08

12. aclrockie

aclrockie New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I agree Tom, I have fished Perry since I was a little kid. May was alway nice to fish under the bridge off the rocks, I have used everything from minnows to worms to Shad( when I finaly got to use a cast net) and have always done well off the rocks. Nice thing is if you don't have access to a boat you can be pretty sure to have luck from the bank on the rocks that time of year.