cats on corn?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by LEROYDOZOIS, May 20, 2008.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    enyone ever caught channells on corn.....

like when carp fishing ???????

just curious:tounge_out:

2. catfishbrett

catfishbrett New Member

State:
    Steubenville,Ohio
    My brother caught a channel on corn a few years back while we were fishing for small carp.

3. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    When I was a little boy my dad used to fish with peppered corn for catfish. Seemed to work where we used to fish in Ohio.

4. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    No but I have caught Bullheads on it and it might stand to reason that some paylakes have grain fed cats in them . If a cat is hungry enough he might eat anything !

5. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Yep, when they're hungry, they'll eat anything.

When I was a kid, my grandpa baited setlines with corn. Seems like we always caught some.

6. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Catch them all the time on Corn Leroy. Mostly little dinks but i have caught some in the 7 or 8 pound range using corn. Lots of Bullhead come of them to.

7. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    LeRoy, You can take a burlap bag open it up and put it in a five gallon bucket like a trash bag in a trash can. Then fill it with corn and then water. Fold the rest of the bag into the bucket and put the lid on it. Let it sit in the sun for a couple wks checking it every few days and adding water to it. When it is ready take out to lake or river where you want to fish. put a rock or brick in the bag tie the bag closed with a knot and tie a rope to it. Sink the bag to the bottom and put on a jug just under the surface of the water so you can find it easily but no one else can. Come back the next that eventing or the next day and start fishing. The cats will come to the bag and you can catch them while they are hanging around it. Also before you sink it you can take some of the corn and scatter it all around where you are gonna sink it. This give you a wider attraction area.

8. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    I would love to fish corn. The problem is it is HIGHLY illegal in my state. But from what i have heard in the past ten years or so it should be pretty good. give it a go if its legal.:cool2:

9. Carp King

Carp King New Member

State:
    North carolina
    Ive caught cats on corn. The litlle ones bite as if they are giants when im using it as bait. The carp dont even get a chance to get it somedays when the cats are around. They are mostly channel cats with an occasional white cat and they sometimes have good size to them, Mostly 3 to 6lbers.

10. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    If it's illegal, you can pretty much bet that corn works well as a bait! :eek:oooh:

11. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    corn thanks for the info rick

12. reelguy

reelguy New Member

State:
    caliif
    Have only caught yellow and white catfish utilizing corn and worms. Never any luck with this bait for channel catfish.

13. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    we catch a lot of baby channels and bullheads with corn, usually when we fish for carp and trout. i never caught any of any size, but i see a lot of other guys have.