cats near owensboro?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by crazy4cats, Jun 8, 2008.

1. crazy4cats

crazy4cats New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have tried fishing off the shore near english park

I ahve also been to the lock and dam near cannelton have fished both the indiana side and the kentucky side

on the kentucky side i fished off the dam and never had a bite
    on the indiana side i caught one small channel cat

does anyone know any good spots within maybe 20-30 mins awsy from owensboro ky??

and wuts the best bait

ive been using cut perch and chicken liver

2. Kyrednecker

Kyrednecker New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have yet to have personal success with catfish in or around Owensboro save one place; The Green River. I've heard stories, and seen picture of people trotting the green river, and pulling out 6 month's worth of fillets from a 5 day soak. The usual bait on the green is Liver, your choice. One guy that has fished the green for more then 60 years, uses frozen liver, and live bait from the site that he fishes from. he's told me of flatheads, and Blue's around the length of his leg.

You could try Kingfisher, and Carpenter lakes on the east side of Daviess county. Both are small sized lakes with boat docks, and each boast of a nice day fishing. Again, I have yet to have a personally good day at either.

Good luck, I hope these area's help, albeit, I don't have much knowledge of good fishing spots in the Daviess County area.

3. crazy4cats

crazy4cats New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    well i have fished king fisher and capenters b4
    but i was bass fishign and didnt catch a thing

but a did see some huge explosions that looked to be cat fish

and a few years back im preatty sure they shocked those lakes and took most of the flat heads out
    cus the were eating the bass

but i guess the chanels are still there

have u ever caught catfish there?

4. Kyrednecker

Kyrednecker New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The only thing that I can honestly say I have caught would have to be small mouth bass, crappie, and sunfish. As far as shocking the lakes, about 7 years ago, the lakes flipped. Everything in it died for some reason. I've heard this from local fishermen telling tales of such. I have no clue as to why they flipped, but I can honestly say that, in the year that I've been fishing, nothing has been seen larger then a 3 pound Bass.

Speaking of which, I have a fellow worker that told me of a 17lb catfish in a pay-lake near here. Once I get the serious info, I can relay it to you, if you would be interested in going to a pay-lake.

There is a set of pay-lakes I know of, Diamond Lakes. Been there once, and just on that trip, I seen some nice fish being pulled out; but with my luck, I brought the wrong type of bait..and tackle if memory serves.
    Sorry for the rambling, and no-help information.

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    You might want to try using skipjack and shad. Skipjacks can be caught occasionally at Newburgh dam and the Green river at Spottsville dam.

6. KYfarmer

KYfarmer New Member

State:
    KY
    I have seen alot of good fish caught at English park off the wall the trick is bait, the cats I have caught have all been on bait fish and I tried every thing. You may catch one on livers or prepaired baits but in the river the cats are used to eating fish, and shad skipjack and bluegill will out fish other baits most of the time.

7. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Try Newburgh lots of cats caught there on skipjack or Hamiltons Ferry on the Green seen alot of fish caugth there at night also on skipjack.If you dont have any skippers just give me a hollar i dont mind hooking a brother up can also let you know where to catch them.Aaron

8. Kyrednecker

Kyrednecker New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The next time that I get out, I will give English park a shot. Right now, I'm nursing a shoulder injury, so fishing in and of itself is a chore for me. Just today, I got out to practice with a bait caster, typing this down now, I wish that I hadn't; :eek:oooh: but I got some good pictures of my 2 year old reeling in the practice weight.:roll_eyes: So I think that it was worth the trouble. I can't wait to get him out there on the water.

9. Springfield45

Springfield45 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm looking to do some catfishing in the Owensboro area. Anyone interested?

10. catman from owensboro

catman from owensboro New Member

State:
    ky
    cats ain't biting much yet on the ohio real slow.fish today no fish in boat.about 20 small hits in 6 hours.but it was fun got time on the water............... skips are very slow at newburg right now if you get some at all there you are lucky.
    but they'll be back soon

11. Springfield45

Springfield45 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    When do you spect they'll be back on the bite?

12. QM2

QM2 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The best places to fish in owensboro (city limits anyway) are behind the executive inn and behind owensboro grain company. they only problem is you have to have a boat. they no longer allow people to fish off the banks. behind the grain company, you can catch nice cats off just about anything. i haven't had much luck in owensboro this year, although i did catch a 20 pound flathead off the boat ramp at english park a couple weeks back. i was using small bluegill as bait. the bluegill that i caught the flathead on was already dead so i just put a couple slits in its sides and let it bleed out.

went to cannelton dam last weekend with my dad and father-in-law. we caught 8 cats (channels) and caught a striper off liver. not much luck that day for anybody. there was probably 20 people down there and we didn't see anything brought in that was worth talking about.

13. Springfield45

Springfield45 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The Owensboro grain company and the Cannelton dam are the only places I've ever had any luck too. I have never caught and huge fish but usually pretty consistant.

14. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    your welcome to come up to rocky point this weekend to the gathering we are having there.... its just up river from cannelton

15. KYfarmer

KYfarmer New Member

State:
    KY
    I was thinking of driving up there sat. just to meet some members if they are not all out fishing. I wish I could stay and fish but I have a wedding to go to.