Cats in the freezer

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by JReed, Feb 4, 2006.

1. JReed

JReed New Member

State:
    Lima, Ohio
    I normally stock up on the cats that I freeze during the summer so I can still have that awesome fish fry during the winter. I will usually have about 15 to 20 lbs of cat fillets in the freezer during winter, enough for a few meals for the wife and kids during ice over. On average, how many pounds of fillets do you think you have stocked up during the winter months?

The 2 in my avatar are about the average size that I keep. Anything over 5lbs goes back in the water to make babies.

P.S. I try to catch enough walleye to keep stocked up also but they never seem to make it more than a month in the deep freeze. :rolleyes:

2. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    I will keep about five pounds of fillets in the freezer for my own use.If we have an outing I'll buy nuggets for deep frying,at the market.Have to stay on the right side of cautious because of alerts put out by fish&game.

BILL

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I keep enough for a meal. I'm too lazy to clean them very often, so I will keep a couple of pounds in the freezer. After that's gone, it may be a month or 2 before I'll bother to clean some more. Sometimes they don't even make it to the freezer and I'll just eat them after they soak a day or two.

4. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I can see it now...here kitty kitty...

I love cats too...they taste just like chicken!!

Oh...you mean catfish!! My bad...lol.

5. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I reckon I'm cursed er hexed er somethin like that. I like to eat fish. There's no question about what kind. We catch a few channels, and if they're big enuff we keep'em. We caught about half a dozen flathead last year, and kept some. We catch mostly blues. We don't keep fiddlers - we throw a bunch back. I can't say how many make it to the freezer, I'd eat'em 3 times a day if I had my druthers! The freezer just gets what we don't eat immediately. It's mighty comforting, when the snow is flying and it's colder than a witc........well it's perty nice knowing we have'em! If only I could come up with a few alternative recipes for carp er gar er drum.

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I always shoot for around 75 lbs of catfish fillets at least in the freezer.And then 30 or 40 lbs of whole fish. AS I cook about 15 to 20 lbs per fishfry. and then aorund 30 or 40 lbs of crappie and then all the sauger I can get .. Our bunch eats fish like chips.. All then can get .
    PEte

7. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Holy moly, Pete! Do you have a walk-in freezer? An how many people to you feed at one time?

8. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i hvae around 40 pounds right now in the deep freeze,but as soon as the famliy and friends find out and froce me to have a fish fry that will change...lol but i love doing that so its always cool

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Three freezers. and about one time a year we feed the whole negbor hood. Around 75+ at it. And at the others around 25. EVeryone around here like my fish and hush puppys for some reason..
    Pete

10. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Seems like your neighbors are saying that you're one heckofa cook, Pete! I think that it's great that you do that for them. If I may borrow a quote from Peanuts "you're a good man, Charlie Brown".

11. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Last summer I had 20# of fillets that I caught. I fried them early in decamber to clean the freezer out along with 20# of bluegill and Crappie fillets my brother-in-law brought over. We had about thirty people there for the fish fry. Can't wait to get started for this year's fish fry.