cats in shallow water

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Team Ooops Stanky, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Team Ooops Stanky

Team Ooops Stanky New Member

Hi all. I posted once or twice in the old forum, but it was a while ago...
    Was wondering if anybody fishes N. Santee almost all the way down to the salinity line (Hwy 17) near Georgetown (or similar scenarios)?
    I'm wondering how shallow the cats go, or more specifically; how far up a creek will the big cats travel with regards to tide?
    Where I put in at (Harris Landing) is actually somewhat of an oxbow(?) with a few very tiny feeder creeks running into it. There's pretty decent current in the oxbow itself, and there's a decent amount of mullet and some shad (which i cast net and use for bait).
    But no matter when I seem to go (tide wise), with the exception of small 1 - 3lb. cats, I haven't had any luck. Is it a waste of time to fish for bigger ones at everything but high tide?
    Saw a huge flathead once way back in one of the creeks, but other than that, nada... Not even where the oxbow flows into the main river have I had any luck.
    The whole tidal river thing is still a learning process for me, and I could use some advice. Thanks.

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Stanky, looks like I must be following your posts this morning. I responded to one already, before I saw this one. I'm somewhat familiar with the area you mentioned. I know there are lots of big cats caught down that way, from below the bridge on up to Wadmacon, and above. I've been wanting to get serious with them, too, but I've been hesitant to leave my vehicle at Harris or Pole Yard landings, due to potential vandalism. Have you noticed any problems there lately? A couple of years ago, it had gotten pretty bad at Pole Yard.
    But back to your question, this time of the year, the larger cats would probably be more likely found out in the main river. Try the deeper holes in the daytime, and shallow flats near those holes late evening, night, early morning. There are plenty of snags there, so rig accordingly. After a rain, I like to fish around the creek mouths, too.
    In the spring, I've seen a lot of big ones come out of the creeks, mostly on trotlines. I fish the creeks farther up (Jamestown area) in early spring and catch quite a few big ones, when they are in pre-spawn/spawn mode.

3. Team Ooops Stanky

Team Ooops Stanky New Member

BWC-
    Thanks for the info. and greeting. As for your concern about vandalism, I've heard it talked about a few times at Harris. I even had FFW officer warn me that if I left so much as my cinch straps in the back of the truck, they'd be gone. I never put in at Pole Yard, but I've heard the same horror stories.

As for Harris; the area just seems ripe for such nonsense. It's down a dirt road deep in the backwoods, near some "rural ghettos", and only has one light that's occasionally on. But so far, I've never had anything stolen or vandalized, although I have come back to find my truck door (passenger side) wide open.

Also, one late night/early morning I interrupted a couple deep in the throes of passion. Sounds harmless enough, but there was some bad mojo going on. I won't elaborate, but it made the hair on my arms stand up and I got out of Dodge pretty quick...

Despite having mentioned those two incidents; my overall impression is that it's reasonably safe. After all, I've been 40+ times with nary a problem regarding vandalism or safety. Even when my truck door was opened it didn't result in anything being stolen...With nothing of value in the cab, I often leave my doors unlocked, my only precaution being to set my "redneck car alarm" -two shotgun shells placed prominently in sight on the dash and driver's seat.

It's worth noting, however, that my truck doesn't exactly set off dollar signs in potential crooks' eyes when they see it drive by. Nor, for that matter, is it likely to fuel any economic resentments that might ingenerate vandalism...

Regards,

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks for the feedback, Stanky. You mentioned one thing that is important, that being not to leave anything of value in you vehicle. When I hear of people having guns and such stolen, I don't have a lot of sympathy, because it's pretty dumb, IMO, to leave them in a vehicle at such a place to begin with. I see people with guns in their racks, parked in shopping centers, etc. just begging to be stolen, in fact one morning a guy stopped at the convenience store near here for a coffee, and while he was inside (5 min?) someone broke the rear glass and took both guns.
    My dad used to park at Harris sometimes when he was living, and never had any trouble, but like you said, it is isolated and seems ripe for trouble.
    Have you had a chance to try those cats on that end of Santee yet?