Cats in creeks

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by hank_lineage, Feb 28, 2006.

1. hank_lineage

hank_lineage New Member

hey all,

just wondering if u can catch any decent sized cats in the creeks this time of year, or are they all deeper? in particular, i'm talking about lower n. santee, a little ways above the salinity line.
    thanks

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I don't know Santee, but I know on Wylie all my consistent catches are from creeks, but they are mid way down the creeks in 8-12 feet of water. Not as shallow as spring spawn, but not exactly deep. I have noticed some of the deeper water holding shad, and these schools were in 18-25 feet of water, so some of the bigger fish may be in and around these schools.

3. hank_lineage

hank_lineage New Member

hey wylie,
    you have any idea whether that holds true in tidal rivers?

4. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Welcome to boc hank. Please fill in your profile with your location and name so we know who you are and where your at.

Im new to the area and havent tried santee yet. Would love to have some information on fishing it if you have any. I know cats can be found in creeks along waccamaw, black, and pee dee river and I have caught some in very brackish water.

Steve, a brother from myrtle beach has told me that bullcreek , marker 48 on waccamaw is a great spot. Ive also heard a lot of people say bridges in gtown are good spots. I have only fished them once with little luck.

5. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    :0a25: to the board. I don't fishing tidal river yet but maybe one of these days I can.

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    No idea on tidal water. Thats is a whole unexplored world to me so far.

7. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Hank,
    Ive been fishing tidal rivers most of my life and can say the catfishing is great and often overlooked. Took my grandson yesterday and ended up with 25 nice eating cats.I fish the lower end of the Savannah river alot and the mouth of almost any creek that dumps into the river will hold catfish there. We anchor up and fish in the holes with shrimp or worms. This seems to be productive 12 months out of the year and keeps the grandkids happy when its too cold to go swimming !