Cats in bushes

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Shenandoah, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Shenandoah

Shenandoah New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've found a schooling of catfish in a river that has only a few decent holes but on a couple I have found cats. All involve float trips except for one that is in easy walking distance. I'm just not sure how to go about fishing it. This spot is next to a bank in a slow flowing river and in about 4 feet of water at its deepest. I've only seen the cats in a brush pile while shooting carp and they only go out when I shoot carp. I can cast where ever I need to put a lure but I don't know what kind of bait to use or hook, or how to get a fish out if I hook it? Any suggestions? Oh yeah I'm in virginia and I'm going after channels natural prey could be crawfish, sunfish, chubs, suckers, fallfish, madtoms, helgamites, and various minnows

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i'd try cutbait and minnows on jigs around that bush first, then around any cover or flats in that area.

3. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    may i ask what is a fallfish ???

4. Shenandoah

Shenandoah New Member

State:
    Virginia
    It looks like a big chub or small bonefish biggest I've seen is about 20 inches they fight decent and bite about anything

5. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I'd approach it like this (which doesn't necessarily make it the right way... just how I'd do it):

I'd use a heavy or medium heavy rod with stout line, and drop the bait just upstream of the brushpile. Once a cat hits, you gotta be able to horse him outta there, which is why I'd use a stout rod and line. Otherwise, they'll warp you up in the brush, and that's no fun.

Bait is gonna be tricky... I like something that stinks a lot, so that the current washes the scent into the brushpile. Dip bait or blood works pretty good for this, but a good oily piece of cutbait is good too. Experiment a little. The cats will tell you what they want. As for hooks, I'd say go with whatever you'd be comfortable with in most situations. If you can use treble hooks in your area (and you plan on keeping 'em), that's what I'd do.

I also saw a show a while back where they were using crappie poles and dropping baits right into the brush. When they got a hit, they pulled it straight up and out of the snag. Looked like a heck of a lot of fun.

Good luck!

6. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    id try cut bait like a blue gill head if that dont work try some liver or shrimp.Use a slip float and get as close as you can to them.