Cats for bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by typer181, Sep 15, 2005.

1. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    I was told that using small ( up to 12" long) cats was great bait for flatheads. What's your opinion? Does anyone know if a certain species of cat is better than another? Thanks for the input.

2. CatfishJoe

CatfishJoe New Member

State:
    Mannford, OK
    Even though I've never heard of this before ... I'd be interested in hearing your results! Keep us posted.

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Ive been told to use bullheads for bait they dont get that big, Ive tried it once but it was on a lake that wasnt really known for Flatties

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I've wanted to use cats for bait several times. The only problems are they always try and claw ya when ya are puttin the hook in and the fur always presents a problem with the hook set. LOL! ;)

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I've heard about using bullheads, but never have. I did cut up a real small (6") cat yesterday and tried, but never got a bite at all, but I did catch some on cut mullet, and live bream.

6. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've used bullheads for years. They are one of my favorite baits. The flatheads love them. I've also caught channels and blues on them aswell. Channels make good bait aswell. Its just difficult to catch them in the right size sometimes. In the heat of the summer bullheads are easier to keep alive than sunfish or shad.

7. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    How do you rig the bullheads, kcgeoff? Do you trim the tail, too, like a bream?

8. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    When I catch the bullheads I clip the very tips of the 3 fins and toss them in the bucket. I do this so that when I reach in the bucket to get a bait I don't get finned. When hooking them I perfer to hook them near the tail like a sunfish. But in heavy current I hooked them through both lips.

9. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Ok, thanks. I didn't know if you clipped the fins or not, but that's a good idea...saves a lot of pain. I will try some of the live ones next chance I get. I usually catch a couple while fishing for bait with worms.

10. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    yeah flatheads will eat channels alright, My 4" flathead ate my 2" channel in my tank!

11. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    i've never tried it or seen anyone try it, but i read an article in in-fisherman about using stone cats for bait. they don't get over 10" long, but they have the strongest venom in thier spines out of all catfish. according to infisherman, they can actually make you a little sick from a sting. but they said that they were great bait for flatheads. unfortunately, we don't have stone cats in ohio that i know of. so, i'm not sure if it works or not.

12. 98custom

98custom New Member

State:
    Northwest Flori
    whats a stone cat? Ive never heard of one before. as far as i know people use bullheads for bait.

13. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    Before using any type catfish as bait it's best to check with your local game and inland to see if there is any law or rule saying they cant be used.

I know some states let bullheads be used but most states protect the blues and channels if it was ok to use channel as bait i myself would not.

We are to proect our sport not kill it. just my view not trying to upset anyone.