Cats below a dam?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Mr. Whisker77, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Mr. Whisker77

Mr. Whisker77 New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    How productive is fishing bellow a dam? I was reading in one of my books that if you throw a little chunk of shad or a live shad right where the dam water hits the water at the river below is a good fishing spot. anyone ever try something like this? I was thinking about doing this over below griggs. anyone every fish the tailwaters below the dam? any good spots?

2. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Here are a few from Pike Island Dam on the Ohio River. You can see the dam in the last one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    I fished below Griggs once and caught ten channels. Every spring and early summer, people fishing for saugeye below Greenlawn dam south of downtown will catch flatheads. They move up in the tailwaters during that time.

4. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Alec, fishing under lowhead dams can be very productive at times. Both for channels on cut shad and for flatheads on live baits. I find it very hit or miss though. When I started out I fished this one dam, very highly regarded for big flats about 3 nights per week. I only caught flatheads about once every 3 to 4 trips, and ones over 30lbs only one in ten. If thats a spot you can fish alot you might as well start getting experience. I find that certain areas in the scour hole are better than others. So toss baits around the entire area till you find what works there. One area you may get snagged every time you cast there. So either cast short of the snag or cast elsewhwere. Maybe there is a 2ft deeper section on one end of the dam face that fish prefer. Maybe most are found in an eddy. Just get out there and fish as often as you can and keep experimenting till you gain some knowledge of what works.

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Early spring is perhaps the best chance for cats below the dam. After ice out they head upstream, it's instinctual. A dam is an obstruction they can't seem to get around and holds them up concentrating them in the area. Look for current breaks, seams, and places they can rest but dart out to catch food.

6. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Here in kentucky we catch alot of cats below dams

7. bigcat_chaser

bigcat_chaser New Member

State:
    Cincy, Ohio
    I have caught a bunch of cats below dams, trick is just to find the holes that contain the fish, I always cast into the flow and let the current take my bait to the fish. One word of caution though If you are going to fish low head dams be really really careful around the water as these types of dams usually have a lot of submerged snags and really powerful turbulent water one wrong step can make for a really serious situation. Be safe and knock'em dead.

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    If you are fishing from a boat, make sure you get there with plenty of daylight. And bring two anchors. If you set up in or near an eddy, or too close to the dam, the water can and will push or pull (depending) your boat right into the face of the dam. So set up while you can see everything a few times so you know how the current and your boat get along lol.
    If fishing from the bank, you'll have to cast 30 or more yards farther upstream from where you think you want your bait to settle because the current will be whisking your bait downstream as it sinks to the bottom. Keep your line tight as the free-spool lets your bait down. The bigger the BOW in your line the less chance you have of holding where you want.

9. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Anyone have suggestions for dams to fish around Cincinnati that you don't need a boat to get to?

10. BG CAT

BG CAT New Member

State:
    Westerville OH
    Any flathead catfish being caught in the Ohio River right now?

11. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Can't help you with that question ,however I can give you a warm WELCOME to the BOC.Someone will be along to answer for you.

12. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    IM going dam fishin lol...

13. ga2oh

ga2oh New Member

State:
    ohio
    i'll take my 8yr old son night fishing below griggs and we'll catch some nice sized ones nothing super big or to small. i honestly love to just sit there and watch my boy fight to land a 3 - 5 pounder. we've gone during the day and caught a few.

14. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    one thing ive learned bout fishing dams is fishing the eddys for eating size flatheads.by eating size i meen under 10 lbs.i take my spinning gear and with ,hook only no sinker,a 5/0 gold aberdeen i put a large gob of nite crawlers on it toss it out and let it go where it wants to.if it gets hung up just let it sit some kind of fish will get it loose for you.

15. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    You have to understand catfish seasonal migration patterns. During spring, it's instinctive for catfish to go upstream. The dam is a man-made barrier. Fish can't go any further.

Cats especially flatheads are stopped at dams but they see all the baitfish around and stay and feed. Nothing else a flathead wants is to have thier food swimming around thier living room. They don't even have to swim and hunt, the food is always there. So they fid a nice scour hole below the boils or find a nice spot out of direct current. All the do now is chill, eat, and get fat.

Fish below small lowhead dams is my favorite way to target flatheads. I used to believe that flatheads hate current, but if there's food, they don't give a crap.

Also dams are the only place I ever catch a flathead in daylight.

When people associate flatheads to structure, many people think holes, logjams, and rocks. Never underestimate the best man made structure for flatheads, dams.

16. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    them are some good points, however, i find alot of daytime flats also at the mouths of feeder creeks. especially in highwater! these areas are not only feeding zones, but alot of time are slack water eddys off the main river that is raging for these fish to stage and rest! place baits there in the early spring and hold on! :wink: .....rollo

17. catfishbrett

catfishbrett New Member

State:
    Steubenville,Ohio
    I fish the Pike island Lock alot. It's a great spot however spring and fall i would use bigger baits the gar hang real tight in there ,once caught a 4ft gar on a 8in sucker. They just tear shiners up all night.bait bucket will emty out kinda fast lol

18. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    Fishing dams is outstanding. From early spring to early summer is the best time but it is hit and miss sometimes but if they are there you can load the boat.Alton dam on the mississippi is awsome my buddy one time in May had 5 fish in a tournament that went 249lbs that's unreal.

19. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    i fish low dams mainly my pb shovelhead was above a low dam. i fish either below the low dams or above or the tailwater near them. i usually get channel cats flathead saugeye carp or smallmouth. near the dam is usually minnows bluegill nightcrawlers or creek chub. the hole near these low dams is very good channel and shovelheads roll up and just wait the baitfish there. also the tailwaters with adjoining sandbars will giver good action. rick