Catoon modification

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Catfish Fever, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Attached are before and after pictures of the latest modification I've made to the Toon, with the help of my fishing buddy Jerald (Catfish Quiver). The first pic is the underside of the deck showing the exposed cross members, which catch quite a bit of water and create resistance when underway. The second pic is after we installed a 4'X12'X3/32" sheet of aluminum which sheds the bow wave. By not having to push against the water hitting the cross members, it increased my speed from 23 to 24+ MPH at the same tach speed. I haven't had it on long enough to check my mileage yet, I'm fairly confident this should improve too. It may not be much, but any little bit will help.
    I installed a piece of 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" aluminum angle across the leading edge, so no water would catch and pull on it, definitely wouldn't want it coming loose and getting sucked back to the lower unit, LOL. Also, being as the cross members are on 2ft centers, they're 2inches wide, I came up 2 inches short on the back end, so I bolted a 2 inch square piece of aluminum tube across the end crossmember to screw the end of the sheet to. I forgot to take a pic before we installed the sheet.

Attached Files:

2. Catfish Quiver

Catfish Quiver Member

State:
    Ks, w, edg
    Hey Catfish Fever, wanted to see what our work looked like but I can,t look till I do some posting.

3. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    looks good,hope it works on the water problem you had,kepp us posted how it works once you get into the thick of fishing

4. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I was at a boat show last year and they had a toon that looked to have run over a smaller boat. Turns out its a third toon. Said it would increase speed, shorten plane time and increase payload or reduce fuel consumption. Wish I could remember the name. Might check out your local boat show. Think they wouldnt be too hard to make. Price wasnt bad tho. The ones I saw were fiberglass and just bolted on.

5. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Jim, the first pontoon I looked at when I bought mine was made like that. Said it would increase speed in rougher water, better milage and protect the deck better. Great idea. I will move this to the library soon too. Thanks.

6. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Steve, I've run it and it does make quite a difference, I get between 4 and 5 mph more at the same rpm as before. I'm just waiting till I run a full tank of gas through it to see if my mpg have improved, they ought to.

7. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Kent, they're Tritoons, we've had them running around on Milford Lake for about 4 years now. There's a 24 ft with an I/O that'll do close to 60, just skims the water like a flat rock.

8. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Bryan, I haven't had a chance to run in rough water, to darn cold to hit those big waves, lol. But just running is much better. Thanks for thinking it's worth going in the library.

9. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    Jim: I am dumber than the average bear. Where did you get the sheeting you used?

10. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Tom, it's available in a metal retail place in Wichita, sorry, forget the name, but I could get it if your interested. Anyway, my boat mechanic was going down there to pick up a bunch of aluminum sheeting, he buys old boats, fixes'em up for resale, he picked it up for me. I think he only charged me like 10% above his cost. It was $85 for an 4'X12'X3/32", which sounded pretty reasonable to me. Went out today again, the ride is so much quieter without the water hitting those cross members. Here's some pics of what was hitting up under the Toon, only double. The bow wave at cruising speed is a couple of inches higher than the top rail. As I said, my speed increased around 4mph at the same rpm, I just have to use a full tank of fuel to determine how much if any my mpg increased. Once I got out in the middle of the lake, where I didn't have to worry about hitting the shore, I looked under the front while underway, the water just hits and slips straight back, I'm real anxious to see how it'll do in some heavy water.

Attached Files: