Catoon alternative anchoring system

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Catfish Fever, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    The attached photos show some of the modifications I made to my Catoon. When fishing shallow, up to five feet deep, I use the "bow and stern" anchor system. If the wind was blowing much at all, the bottom was just a little soft, which it usually is shallow, eventually the anchor lines would loosen. The following are some pics of my solution for this problem, "Anchor Poles". Initially, I just strapped the poles to my rail, didn't work very well if there was even a slight breeze.
    That's when I came up with the idea for the brackets, the lower ones in the pics. Simple muffler clamps(2.5") bolted to the deck edge, to hold a piece of 2" PVC. The original poles were just 10' pieces of 1.5"dia PVC, which slides easily through the bracket PVC. This system worked much better, but the Toon would still shift around some in a stiff breeze, as the top of the anchor pole was unsupported. Again, I tried the bungy cord, with unsatisfactory results. Which led me to install what I feel is a satisfactory system for anchoring in shallow water and be on "almost" as firm a platform as shore fishing but have more mobility to move if "they ain't bitin here".
    There are a few pics of other amenities I included just to show what I had. I'm hoping the details I printed will be sufficient to explain the pics.
    The rest of the pics are posted in the following posts.

Attached Files:

2. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    More of Catoon anchor pics.

Attached Files:

3. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    More anchor pics. PVC was a GREAT invention!:grin-big:

Attached Files:

4. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    A couple of other my other Catoon innovations. I'd planned on putting the barn in last, didn't want to seperate the next pics though.

Attached Files:

5. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    THE END, finally! Hope I didn't bore y'all.

Attached Files:

6. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thats purty slick, hoss.

7. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    HEY BUCK! Thanks, have'nt talked to you since we were fishing partners ages ago:rolleyes: Nice to hear from you again. Yeah, I just got tired of resetting my anchors, it's quicker too.

8. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Looks like you've got a really good set up there... wish mine was as nice. Till monday all i had was the shore line and my canoe which you can't add too much too. Im Jealous of your set up.

9. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Bryan, thank you for your compliments. My first boat was a 10' flatbottom, and gradually worked my way up from there. I'm sure your water crafts will improve with time.

10. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    One improvement I forgot to mention about the PVC poles, to make them stiffer, I shaved staircase handrails down to where I could pound them down into the entire length of the poles. The PVC by itself was quite flexible, especially the deeper I went. The wood inserts stiffen them up considerably.

11. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Jim That anchoring system looks handy as a two pocketed shirt!

I noticed You went with the Bee ready rod holders, How do you like them?

12. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    Jim: Great lookin modifications. You da man when it comes to inovation on the catoon. Looking forward to pickin your brain about the transducer mounting when ya come to keystone. My setup is suspect at best.

13. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Brad, thankyou. It does make things easier, specially when the winds blowing, keeps'er pretty steady. That helps a lot when it's a light bite, you can tell if it's the wind or not.
    As for those rodholders, they're the greatest. I thought I had the best with the driftmasters, which I did like till I seen these. A friend of mine bought to many for his boat and gave them to me (2 ea). I liked them so well, I decided to make a couple more, pic 1, I just drilled a couple holes in the rail and bolted them down. They worked, but not as good as the original.
    One day while I was driftin, I seen the yellow label on the side, lo and behold, there's a phone number, got their web site to check out there holders. The one I pictured on the boat were on sale $7.50 each, so I bought 4 more. Then I called and spoke with the owner/designer, with two purposes in mind, one to tell him how much I liked them, second, to see if I could get him to contact Paul about being a possible sponsor for the BOC, don't know if anything ever developed or not. I plan on giving it another try though. So after business was done, he said how would you like to test one of my newest model? I said sure, he sent me the one in the second pic, plus one of his hats, free of charge. The new models are held on by one bolt, and you can turn them in the direction you want, by loosening a nut on the bottom, they are also stainless steel, they're pretty slick too.
    As for my driftmasters, I sold them to a member, can't remember who though, gave him a good deal. I'm hoping I didn't violate anything by describing these holders.

Attached Files:

14. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Alright Jim, you causing me to work now. LOL Anymore? I'll have these in the library too soon. Your anchoring system is already there.

15. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Howdy Tom, nice to hear from you again, and thankyou for the compliments. We're sure looking forward to making this Keystone, sure did miss not making it last year. Lydia's pretty optomistic about this year too, I'm hoping we got everything fixed now. I have'nt signed up on the roster yet, just to be sure I want to wait till be get a little closer to going time. Sure be good to see you and the folks I've already met, and looking forward to meeting all the new folks too, specially "Ole Whistler" He said he'd come pull the Catoon down for me, I think he was pulling my leg though:cry-big:, it sure would've been nice though, specially with these gas prices:crying:. Looking forward to seeing you in a couple of months where we can fish and chew the fat.
    Wish we could've got some fishing in at Pomona that weekend.

16. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Great idea I use galvanized pipe instead of pvc pipe. I’m just too hard on stuff to use plastic anything.

17. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    HOLY MACKERAL, speak of the:evil-big: and who show's up? Howdy Bryan, sorry about making you work:rolleyes: :rolleyes: I knew you could handle it though.
    Thank you, appreciate you thinking it's good enough to be saved.
    I've got another one on the drawing board now, it's a little more work(2 man job), I believe it'll be a very worthwhile project. I pretty sure the Catooners out there will be interested in it. I don't want to try to describe it, I think the "before and after" pics will have more impact. Just hoping this spring weather sticks around, as I have to work on it outside. Thanks again for all your recent help.

18. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Josh, I thought about that initially, just didn't like the weight factor. How did you seal the bollom end? Or did you. When I first started using the poles, the bottom end was open, I just got tired of knocking the mud out every time, if I didn't, the darn thing kept filling up with mud:sad:, it was tough beating it out too. That's when I decided to cut the slant and put the bottom on. I guess you could do that with pipe, and just weld a plate on the bottom opening.

19. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Here's the detail's of the modification I made on the poles. When I drilled the holes for the pins to hold them in the running postion (up) I realized when I put them down into the water in anchor postion, the wood in the pvc would absorb water, I was afraid they'd swll enough to crack the pvc. So here's what I did, I drilled the holes large enough to accept a piece of 1/2in pvc (5/8"drill bit", swabbed the inside of the hole with marine silicone caulk, then inserted the pvc, actually have to beat it in, then filed it down smooth to match the contour of the pole.
    I just used some 3/8" steel rod (old electric fence pole) fits the pin hole perfect, just heated it, flattened one end, I've attached small cable to the hole in the pin and the other end to boat rail at the pole location.

Attached Files:

20. glenc

glenc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have to tell ya that is one of the best things I have seen. If and when I get a pontoon that will definately be one of the first things I do.