Cat'n Around and Crankbait77 Joint Fishing Venture September 12,2008

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by crankbait77, Sep 12, 2008.

1. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    That is right, although we were rivals in the last tournament we decided to call a cease fire. We met up last night on the lower Neuse, and I went with Brent on his Cat'n Around rig. We quickly realized our tactics and locations nearly mirrored each other. Not long after we got set up in our first stop I got to cut my teeth on the first fish in the 77 degree high water fast current conditions. After a lengthy fight I hauled in a 38.5 pound chunk of a blue at 9:45. We moved about a mile from that spot to get away from an approaching thunderstorm and set up again. While we were putting the rods back out I spotted a rather large log jam that was creating a bit of disturbance in the current, so I threw one of Brents rigs right into it. First thing he says "well there is a deffinate snag", and you guessed it. He was right! That jam had attracted a nice occupant. The rod took off and Brent went to work on it, for his first fish in the heavy current. After a fairly healthy fight he hauled in a 40.5 pound Flat at 11:30. We were pumped at this point, and pretty content with our only two fish of the night. Of course we didn't leave though, we put the bait back out and sat and talked about some of the fish that we had caught over the past year. We had been sitting there for about an hour when one of the rods started bouncing around a little, but nothing that really had our attention. The bouncing went on for about ten minutes before it made a sharp jerk, and I grabbed it and the fish decided to reveal to us what the little tug had been. It loaded the rod, and I loaded all I could of the Black and Blue circle hook into its jaw. The fish drug our anchors and was pulling drag with ease in the current. It even ran up river against the heavy current and still pulled drag like a champ, but in the end this is what allowed me to gain the advantage on him and get him large flathead to the boat. When we pulled the beast over the side we unhooked him and weighed him. It weighed in a 47.2 pounds, which put our three fish total to 126.2 pounds. Just for kicks we decided to stay there and try to add two more fish to the total, which we did, but they were nowhere near the class of fish that the first three were. A pair of 14 pound fish completed the five fish totat of 154.2 pounds. It was a great night on the river, and I had a blast. Thanks Brent for sticking with it and waiting out the weather so we could go. Next time the trip is on me, and I can only hope that the bite is at least half as good as this one. For the rest of you enjoy the photos of the big three, and tight lines and good luck to all of you.

Attached Files:

2. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    The first is of Brent holding my Blue, and the other two are just side profiles of the two big flats.

Attached Files:

3. cat'n around

cat'n around New Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    wesley took the words outta my mouth. i had a blast man. i was knda leary of the thunder that was rumbling around but i couldnt have ask for a better night. oh and thats the first time the boat has seen 2 40+ fish in one night. i dont know what else to say but the proof is in the pics. im ready when you are man you know my number. hope yall enjoy the pics, those fish put up one heck of a fight.

4. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Hell of a trip guys, congratulations on a bunch of really nice fish. I got a few questions if you don't mind me asking, what kind of bait were you using and do you guys fish the Neuse where it's tidal or are you fishing up further than that?

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Congratulations to you both on a great night fishing :cool2:!

6. cat'n around

cat'n around New Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    we were using gills and fishing real close to newbern.

7. kaleb5000

kaleb5000 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    man i am jealous that is a awesome night of fishing if there wasn't any pics i might have a hard time believing you lol.

8. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well Brent and I tried again last night in my boat this time. We had a good time and had plenty of bites, but due to snags and other unforseen hazards we were only able to land 2 fish. The first being Brents 22 pound blue, and the second a 30 pound blue for me. The water temp was cooling down a lot from the other night, and the moon was still bright. The water level did come up some more, probably about another eight inches, but the good news was that the current is slowing down a little therefore is not as dangerous to be out there. Just make sure you bundle up, as the temps are really starting to fall. Hope you enjoy the pics...

Attached Files:

9. cat'n around

cat'n around New Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    yep we had a great time. wish we could have landed the ones that rapped us up and or throwd the hook. as you said before wesley the next trip is on me and im looking forward to it. thanks man

10. bettadaze

bettadaze New Member

State:
    Burlington,NC
    Nice blue cats, do they bite like that all winter?:tounge_out:

11. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    They do for the most part, but you just have to find them.

12. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I've caught two of my nicest blues from late october to early january. Just have to brave the cold and get out there to catch them. Your welcome on my boat anytime too Brent, while I still have it.

13. cat'n around

cat'n around New Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    same here man. just let me know when and im ready.

14. SwampFoxNC

SwampFoxNC New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    That is a great night of fishing and a good read as well. Lets see that at riverside on the 11th how bout it.

15. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Reps to you on a great story and sounds like ya ll had a good evening at the office