Catmaxxx or Ugly Stick

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by river_rat_42, Feb 14, 2006.

1. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Im gettin me a new reel soon, one of the Abu Garcia 7000's, and I am trying to decide wether to get an Ugly Stick Catfish Series rod or a Catmaxxx rod from the Bass Pro Shop. Do any of you all have opinions for which to go with. Keep in mind I want to buy a rod and reel that will have a long life, I dont want to have to buy a new setup in just a couple years. Also what size should I go with ( Im not catching state records or anything, nothin over 20-25lbs. )

2. dip

dip New Member

State:
    stinkin ohio
    i own 3 ugly stick cats and 1 catmaxx 8 footer. they are both good poles but i think the catmaxx might match up with a 7000 better. i use 6500's on the uglies when fishing for channels. my 7000's and 7500 are on tiger rods and a jim moyer and i use them for flatheads.

3. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Would Go With The Ugly Stick, I Have An Abu 6000 On My 7ft Ugly Stick The One I Have Is Med. Action With A Real Flexible Tip, I Use It For A Circle Hook Rod. I Like It, No Problems Yet. I Don't Have And Have Never Owned A Cattmaxx Rod But I Read Alot Of Negative Reviews About Them. But Once Again This Is Just My Opinion, I Hope It Helps.

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    You're not gonna go wrong with either one.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would go with the catmaxx with the 7000...If you had 6500's I would reccomend the ugly stik

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    You get what you pay for!If you want a descent cheap rod go for the Catmax, and if you want a rod with plenty of backbone for your money go with the 7' M/H uglystick tiger!!! A 7000 will match up well with the uglystick!

7. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    I've got uglies and one catmaxx 8 ft.The uglies have served me well,the catmaxx I just got for x-mas and so far so good.No complaints yet.You can go either way with the 7000.There are many excellant rods on the market,the key(my opinion)is takin care of your tackle.:cool:

8. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    I've used both, and both are good rods for cats. The Ugly Stick tends to have a softer tip than the CatMaxx, so if you're a tiptwitchwatcher it's easier to spot, and is limited to 7-ft, I think. Catmaxx has a larger range of lengths and weights. The beef I have with either is guides: Ugly Stik I used had a stainless steel top guide, which will wear under abrasive conditions. Catmxx has aluminum oxide guides so wear is not a problem, but the sheetmetal frames bend if you hit 'em on something.

I currently use 4 Catmaxx one-piece 8-ft MH with 6500C3 and 20-lb Trilene Big Game. Going on 5 years, no problems.

9. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I have 5 of the Catmaax rods and really like them. They are $49.99 - $59.99 depending on which rod you select. The Catmaax rods are pretty stiff so if like a softer tip you may prefer the ugly stick. I'm hoping to catch a real hog this year so I'm happy to be using the stiffer action Catmaax.

10. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    abu 7000 calls for a ugly stik tiger.

11. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    If your getting the abu 7000 id suggest a ugly stick tiger in M/H action,its a perfect match for the 7000,i think the white ugly stick catfish rods are a bit small for a 7000,i would think it would feel a lil "off balance" the ugly stick tiger will run ya around 54 bucks at catfish connection and well worth every penny. the cat maxx rods are great rods as well and would match up pretty well with that 7000 but in my opinion the ugly stick tiger is a much better rod....good luck with your choice.

12. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Where did you see these negative reviews? :confused:

13. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    I have catmax, but for most catting, the ugly stick would be my choice because of the softer tip. It casts a little softer and gives the bite indication better. Hannibal Mike

14. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I love my catmaxx rod to death, I dont have any complaints about it. The rod is very sturdy and come in a variety of lenths and actions.

I would also like to see the negative reviews on the catmaxx.

chris

15. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    Ugly stick all the way

16. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    The ugly's are soft like everyone has said. I think you have to ask your self this. Do you want to have control of a big fish or let him control you? Big reels belong on heavy rods. I say go with the catmaxx.

Like other's have said where is the negative on the catmaxx? I know the reel's are junk but I love the rod.

17. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have 2 catmaxx rod/reel combo's.........I love them. The reels are great even though a lot of people don't care for them. As far as the rods go, I am actually wanting a 7000 paired with a Catmaxx rod. Just got to have the funds first;)

18. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    for the 7000 I'd want a little stiffer rod than the ugly cat its a verry good rod and will certanly handle bigger cats but i believe it to be better suted to a 6000. for dependability I'd go with an ugly stick, for the price of a cattmaxx you can get a tiger with aluminum oxide guides #2201 20-50#line that should mate up good and last a long time.

19. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i haave 2 ugly catfish rods with garcia 6000 reels i like them for channels . i also like them because they are white and i can see them much better at night.

20. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    I have many ugly sticks and have never had one let me down.:)