Catmaxx vs. ugly stik tiger

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by forresto11, Jun 30, 2009.

1. forresto11

forresto11 New Member

State:
    illinois
    howdie, im goin on the mississippi for a week trip in wisconsin to target mosnter flatheads next week and im down a rod and in the market for a new one and i was wondering which one u guys and girls would recommend. bass pro Catmaxx or ugly stik tiger. or a rod tht u may thnk is bttrr:confused2:and wat baitscasting reel would yall recomend

2. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I would go with the tiger -I have both and like the tiger the best !

3. Beckman

Beckman New Member

State:
    O'Fallon MO
    Sure Elites. Ooh yah...your not considering these so I'd go with the Ugly Stick Tiger over the CatMaxx.:wink:

4. Huskercat

Huskercat New Member

State:
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Can't go wrong with an Ugly Stik. They make great rods. I have their ultra light, a med. action, and a cat rod and I would highly recommend all of them.

5. camochris2

camochris2 New Member

State:
    nebraska city nebraska
    i would go with the cat maxx had both i like the cat maxx

6. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing Well-Known Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    I've got to go with the Ugly stix. They have never let me down YET

7. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex Active Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    i have a catmaxx and i like everything about it except for its weight, it weighs alot for a rod

8. richard84

richard84 New Member

State:
    ky
    between the two options i like the catmaxx because it has alot of backbone but both are good rods, its just personal prefrence...i use custome strikers made by master...they are the strongest rods ive ever owned but also on the heavy side...use what ya like bud...keep on castin folks

9. forresto11

forresto11 New Member

State:
    illinois
    thanks guys for the help!:big_smile:

10. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I have both, and if I had to choose one or the other. It would be at a flip of a coin. Both will do the job. Have landed Blues up in the 50's on both. Reckon it comes down to personal preference.

11. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    i prefer the catmaxx rods myself.

12. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Ugly Stik Tiger Lite 7' heavy action, 7000 ic3 , 100 lb. Power Pro :wink:

13. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    Another vote for Ugly...

14. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I have a 10' Catmaxx and a 7' Tiger Rod. The Catmaxx has the CM80 spinning reel, and the Tiger Rod has a Penn 209 attached to it. I haven't had much action with 209 yet, but I can tell you that the Catmaxx allows me to cast much further with greater accuracy than the new setup. But then again, I'm new to baitcasters, so this may be why.

As far as handling large fish with the Catmaxx, I've caught several carp in the 15 - 25 pound range and I can haul them in without a problem. It's a nice stiff rod, and I have no doubt in my mind I could handle a large Flathead without a problem. I'd suffer from a line break before the rod & reel gave me any issues.

But, since I'm revamping my setup, I'm trying to sell the Catmaxx combo. I paid $120 for the thing, and I'll barely be using it anymore. If I don't find interest in it, it'll just be the "extra" pole for friends who have no gear.

As far as I'm concerned, I will be using Tiger Rods and the ECat for my casting combinations. I'm done with Catmaxx, but I can't say anything bad about them.

- James

15. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    Never used the catmaxx rods. But I love my Ugly Stik Tigers !

16. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing Well-Known Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    UGLY ALL THE WAY. I have and use them both and at the end of the day. so far, with out any thing over 10lbs on them. I like the Uglys so far. Both have some back bone yet when it comes down to it, We'll SEE.
    Been lazy and been fishing small lakes mostly so after I head to the river I may change my mind. Might just be because my PB fish this year was a 18 lb. striped bass I caught on an Ugly.
    won't realy know till I set the hook on a nice cat.

17. forresto11

forresto11 New Member

State:
    illinois
    thanks for all the help guys:big_smile:

18. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio

Tiger Rods are great, and Shakespear makes quality products in general.

19. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
  20. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    The biggest thing I want in a flathead rod is a limber tip for launching large weights and baits without wallowing out the hole in the bait where the hook runs through them, and backbone down low. I use Berkley glowsticks for most of my fishing because of convenient takedown and nice lighting in a good cat rod, but for the money you are looking to spend on one, and for the biggest of rivers I would buy an E-cat #4. They have the light tip and plenty of backbone down low. I have one and it is my big fish/heavy current rod for conditions I don't think my glowsticks are up to. I haven't tried the catmaxx or tiger rods, but check the tip action when looking for one. Good luck fishing