Catmaxx Spinner

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Brandon829, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Brandon829

Brandon829 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm thinking about getting a BPS Catmaxx Spinner? Does anybody have any expierence with these? All the reviews look pretty good, but I want some REAL opinions. Thanks! Brandon

2. lou_a

lou_a Member

State:
    Texas
    Brandon,
    [​IMG]
    I had the CatMax CM 80 spinner for less than 1 year. It was a good reel but about 1 month ago, I hooked into something decent and the fish surged and the reel foot broke. I had 20 Lb test mono and I like to think I set my drag just under the breaking point of the line. Yhe fish never spun the drag, before the foot broke. So in my mind, this reel lacks the toughness to last a long time and tackle decent size fish.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009

3. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have one but have yet to catch a big fish with it yet..So far so good though..I got 30lb cajun red on mine and it definitely throws really good..Its not a very expensive reel which was good for me cause my budget won't allow for me to buy 120-150 dollar reels like some of the folks here..

4. lou_a

lou_a Member

State:
    Texas
    Yeah Ifore, I agree. I'm guessing they did a very good job in how the reel lays line onto the spool, because as you say, this reel casts exceptionally. Drag seems pretty darn good too.. Had 2 things out of the box that bugged me slightly on this reel though.

1) Imagine this reel mounted on a rod and you are holding it directly in front of you, with the drag knob at 12:00 and the very bottom of the reel at 6:00. It's time to put fresh bait on, so you are reeling in a 5 Ounce sinker and a gizzard shad head that you cast out a pretty good ways. You will notice a little wobble, ie frame-flex, as you reel in. The top of the reel will move between 11:58 and 12:02 while you are reeling. Since this is a graphite reel, I'm sure there would be slight frame flex, but this was a little greater than "slight" in my estimation.

2) If you happen to open the bail when the spool is at it's highest point, the bail will brush the drag knob ever so slightly. I almost always close the bail by hand anyway, and it was so slight, that this was a non issue to me, other than the fact that having the bail 1 millimeter larger would have prevented it. It's just an attention to detail issue by the manufacturer.

I can't say how stout the "guts" of this reel are. I cringe when I hear folks say they use their reel "as a winch", as that seems to me a sure way to blow up a spinning reel. If I'm hooked into something good, I always use the old "pump & reel" to take some pressure off the inner workings of the reel.

I don't want it to seem that I am totally knocking this reel as it gave me almost 1 year of good service and it had some good things about it. If I had to do it all over again, I'd put 15 lb test on it, think 20 might have been to much. Believe it was on sale for about 30 bucks when I got it. For 32 bucks the Daiwa DF100A is a much better choice, and I can spool it up with 30 Lb mono with confidence. For 20 bucks I can get the Quantum Optix 60 and spool it up with 15 Lb test with confidence. If I ever get back to BPS I'll see what there return policy is on their house brand equipment.

5. wormybass3

wormybass3 New Member

State:
    pinson, alabama
    thanks for the input. i am thinking of trying this reel. am also looking at CABELAS spinning reel, and okuma's reels.these reels are a little more money. but i had the daiwa and did not like the left handed reel.

6. Brandon829

Brandon829 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    For now I ended up ordering x2 10' Cat Busters from BPS. From what I've been hearing, it's not a bad combo for the money.

7. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yeah I guess you get what you pay for..Usually though BPS is pretty good about standing behind there stuff but no one wants to be hung into a good fish when your gear fails..Its a lot better than the Shakespheres,Quantums and the other cheap combos they have out there though..I really want to get a baitrunner but like I said most of them are out of my price range..I do hear some good things about the Okuma's and they seem affordable..

8. Brandon829

Brandon829 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I was looking at some bait runners, but at this time I don't have 80+ to spend on a reel right now. That'll be my next big purchase!