CatMaxx rods on sale at basspro.com

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by TNVOLCAT, Nov 27, 2006.

1. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    For anyone interested, Bass Pro Shops has their CatMaxx rods on sale marked down to $29.99 for most of the sizes. I believe the 9' and longer rods were $39.99. I'm not sure if the sale is at the stores also or just online. I think I might get me one to compare with my Big Cats and my Ugly Stick Tiger and Catfish rods. Any of you have anything good or bad to say about them, speak now or forever hold your peace! THANKS!

2. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    They are a nice rod, but no ugly stik tiger. if u got the extra cash I recomend it (u alredy know about it!)

3. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Decent rods, great for fishing big baits and or heavy current.

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats a good deal!

5. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    I think the handles & butts are too big on them & they are too long-if you may accidently snag a Mako while catfishing its the rod for you!---BUT I do like the BPS Megacast reels,they throw just as smooth as Abu's for half the price.

6. fastfrank

fastfrank New Member

State:
    Elgin, Alabama
    I use the 10 ft. heavy spinning catmax with a shimmano 6500 reel. I landed a very scrappy 44 inch blue on it yesterday. They are an excellent deal for the price. They are great for the "big boys".

7. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    I got the 8ft and got no complaints,tough and lots of backbone!

8. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    At that price, you will be making a GREAT Deal!!!!!!!! They are worth this price and more as the product will provide you with service for a LONG time. MHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

9. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Good, another item to put on the Christmas wish list. LOL!!!!

Ray

10. davy51

davy51 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    If they are not on sale at the store
    just take the ad to the store and they usually honor the ad

they are a decent rod and that is a good price

11. fishinnstudyin

fishinnstudyin New Member

State:
    MO
    Im right now out of the country and I dont trust internet shopping, because returning is a hassle. If I buy a Catmaxx online, could I return it to a Bass Pro Shop store and get my money back??

oh, also I bought a Penn 209 and Abu Garcia 5500 on Ebay in the past several days, which reel would be better for the Catmaxx? the Penn 209? If so, what kind of rod would be good with the Abu 5500? I like the reel and everything, but the size of it makes it seem like it won't be a good match on heftier rods such as the Ugly Stik Tiger or Catmaxx

I like the catmaxx because its so cheap right now, but i read about how its heavy and feels like a broom. oh, someone mentioned that its tip isnt that sensitive, is that true?

12. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Thanks for the tip! I have actually been waiting all year for these rods to go on sale. I been wanting to pick up a few more as I really like and use them often. I got on the B.P. site and ordered three more! A little early Christmas gift to myself!:big_smile: Now I have to intercept the mailman before my wife sees the packages!:eek:oooh: :crazy: :wink: :smile2:

13. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa

I like the Catmaxx rods! I own 5 of them and just ordered three more after hearing of the sale price. Yes they are stiff but when your using big bait and 3 oz. of lead they are able to handle it with no problem! I also like all that backbone for fishing around cover and fighting large Flatheads! I don't think you can get a better value in a big cat for $29.99 IMHO!:cool2: I don't own any of the reels you mention so I can't give an opinion on which would be best.

14. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well, I went to B.P.S. last night to do some shopping. I took my internet ad showing the Catmaxx rods to be on sale for $29.99 and they will honor the internet sale price at the store. So I figured on getting one or two of these rods. I've seen them at the store before, but never really looked at one real good because I'd never planned on buying one with the price being $50. After further review, I decided against getting one because I felt the guides were pretty darn wimpy. Any thoughts on my observation or any of you had problems with the guides before.

15. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have 3 of them, had one eye that the ceramic popped out of but that was due to abuse. I was able to straighten it out and put the ceramic back in with a shot of glue. The catmax rods will handle most anything thrown at them with in reason.

16. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I gave these rods a good work out the past 2 years and had no problem with the guides! I even used them surf fishing while on vacation last summer. I try not to abuse my gear so maybe I'm a little easier on equipment than others but I don't know what rod you can find for the $29.99 sale price that can touch these rods. Just my opinion.

17. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    I have written before and still think that these are Fantastic Rods!!!!!!!! At the price that you are paying for them now, you will not be disapointed. The Guides have not been a problem for me and they have been used for over 4 years on a couple of them. The usage of braided lines have not cut groves nor have I had one to pop out. I do take care of my equipment and feel that if you use them and maintain them at a minimum they will last for 20 plus years! JMHO!!!

HOPPY4

18. MRFLATHEAD

MRFLATHEAD Guest

i just bought 6 catmaxx casting rods 2 hvy avtion and 4 8ft med hvy action they are now$24.88 ea. if you look at the bass pro site there are 2 different catmaxx rods i think they came out with a new catmaxx series and the old ones are on sale now. i might be wrong. they are 2 different price catagorys on spinning rods also.

19. JRA

JRA New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I recently got the 2007 BPS catalogue, and they have upgraded the rods. It looks like the current models will be changed to have a white tip. They also added two live bait casting models that are supposed to have more sensitive tips. The ones on sale are for the purpose of getting rid of the old inventory. They look like nice rods, but I think I will stick with my Ugly Stiks.

20. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    John, put that Penn 209 on a fairly heavy rod. You need a rod that will balance out the weight of the 209 and with its line capacity, both line weight it will take and the amount of line it will hold, a bigger, heavier action rod will do great. It will allow you to toss more sinker and bait weight too. The catmaxx should be fine. I use the Ugly Stick Big Water 1120, 7t. Another option is, of course, the Ugly Stick Tigers. The 5500c3 can go on a medium or medium heavy rod.