Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Just wondering if anyone uses the bass pro shops catmaxx baitcast rod and reels and what they think about them?
I don't own one, but have a friend who's had one for years. He uses 8" to 9" live rainbow trout most of the time for stripers. He has gotten his photo in the Tenn. Sportsman magazine several times from fish he caught off this combo. Striped Bass over 40 lb, blue cats over 50. He says it's the smoothest baitcaster outfit he ever used, but he says he's never owned an Abu.

I've read reviews on this board before, some say they're overpriced, but have heard few complaints on them.

Welcome to the BOC, Josh!

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Just wondering if anyone uses the bass pro shops catmaxx baitcast rod and reels and what they think about them?
I don't own one, but have a friend who's had one for years. He uses 8" to 9" live rainbow trout most of the time for stripers. He has gotten his photo in the Tenn. Sportsman magazine several times from fish he caught off this combo. Striped Bass over 40 lb, blue cats over 50. He says it's the smoothest baitcaster outfit he ever used, but he says he's never owned an Abu.

I've read reviews on this board before, some say they're overpriced, but have heard very few complaints on them.

Welcome to the BOC, Josh!

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have a couple of there rods they hold up pretty well.I got them on sale for about 58 bucks. I would recommened them.Cork handles ,i have the 7 ft medium.My buddy has one of there bait casters pretty good reel.There a liittle stiffer then i like.I would check out tanglin with catfish rods.heard nothing but good about them,i hope to get one of them in the near future.All in all catmaxx is pretty good stuff.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Welcome to USCA Josh, I have 8', 9', and 10' catmax rods, I bought when they first came out. I bought all mine when they was on sale. With a five star rating I would give them four stars. The reason is the eyes are on the weak side. I like there rods alot, they have made some with a softer tip on some of there models, and also have white tips now. As for there reels (catmax) I had a buddy who went through two of them one summer. They didn't hold up very well, he got a abu 6000, and he still has it. Some of the guys on here like them alot and have had good luck with them. Hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I've got two of the 8' spinning rods and love them. Debating getting a couple of the 10' ones. I've never owned the reels, after handling them at the store extensively, I don't want to own them. The casting reel is too small and the clicker sucks, IMO. The spinning reels are ok, but for the same $$, you can do better.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I own 2 of the baitcasters and they,re holding up pretty well I have them loaded with 50 pound suffix braid and have caught a lot of 10 to 15 pound fish on them but after taking one apart to see how it was made I wouldn't recomend it for big fish. Its not made nearly as well as an abu and not much cheaper.

·
Registered
718 Posts
i really want to try bait casters again but i am spoiled with mah bait runners, lil info to find out is .... are the catmax reels built cheap as in are the insides plastic or metal ? also are you planing on catching BIG fish ALOT if so the guts of the reel might need to be a lil more stout. and the price of said catmaxx combo or reel and compair t abu's price ..example if the catmaxx set up is more then 60 bucks then look @ wal-**** they have a abu 6000 csx rod and reel combo for 59.99 and if its cheaper then the catmaxx then ya might seek the abu there rebuildable and you can order repair parts .... are the catmaxx's repairable ? or just a break n toss in the trash type of reel.

also i read the post where some one was complaining about a weak bait clicker,
a WISE man told me the other day to simply leave the bait clicker on and lock the spool and loosen the drag up untill it's just tight enough to hold the bottom this till allow the clicker to still work and you can adjust the drag to control the bait in rough currents

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.