Catmaxx products

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by payton350, Dec 11, 2008.

1. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have read alot of posts on the BOC and alot of reviews from other sites on catmaxx rods & reels. I have also done the same for alot of other products like shakespere,berkley,quantum,ect. I must say there is deffinatley alot of mixed reviews when it comes to catmaxx products, you either love them or you hate them. I have some catmaxx products and I will say the reels are ok they are not a abu or penn but do perform pretty good, next reel is going to be a abu, but I think IMO that the rods are about as good as it gets without going custom not perfect but they handle the fish and current well IMO, I also own a ugly catfish spinning, have had it for about 5 years very tough, but I think the catmaxx rods perform better. I guess I just want to hear more opinion about the rods more than anything, mabye I am waisting my time with them and need to move to something different. :0a36:

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Never owned one,But it ain't out of the spectrum . I have about all the cat rods I will ever use,Reels on the other hand,I am buying new as older ones are worn out. I may try a catmax reel ,I have my eye on an American Spirit rod first tho.

3. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    catmaxx rods are good rods.....plenty of backbone. They eye inserts tend to pop out, although out of my 7 rods it's only happened to two eyelets. I've been getting mine on a discounted price.....about $20 each......if i were gonna pay the sticker price I would probably look at the tiger rods.......

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    The rods are not bad. I'm pretty sure it's the same blank as a quant. big cat.

5. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I've got one and it's a meat stick. It'll pull the bottom out of the lake but it's almost too stiff. It's not that great for circle hooks. Also it's the heaviest one they make so some of the lighter ones may be a little better. They eyes are kind of a weak point but they may have sturdied them up a little on the newer models.

6. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I have some of the rods, and they feel soild to me when I hook into a big cat. I bought mine when they first came out. I don't care for the reels, a guy I used to fish with went through two of them half way through the summer. I talked him into paying a little more money and gettting a abu garcia 6000, he still had those reels the last time I saw him. The catmax hooks weren't sharp at all coming out of the box.

7. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    these are my catmaxx reels one of the rods is catmaxx too

Attached Files:

8. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    I have 2 of the catmaxx rods(CMX-2 9'0" Med Hvy Action) with 2 Abu Garcia 6600 C-4 on them and they have handled a 40 plus pound blue and plenty of 20 plus pound flatheads with no problem.

[​IMG]

9. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    I have two of the 10 ft. heavy action spinning rods. I love the action, but I think they should put some bigger eyes on them.

10. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I say for the price,there is better out there. If you get them on sale for $20,can't beat them at that price. But for half the price of a catmaxx rod,you can get an Ugly Stik,a Sturdy STik,a Diawa Beefstick,or some other good rod. WHen you have to pay full price,I think TIGER. BTW the reels are junk

11. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    only problem i have with the catmax is that the eyelets are junk.

using braid will cut the inserts to pieces in no time.

12. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Well you guys have scared me off from them, thanks.

13. jdward

jdward New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    I've got a catmaxx combo that I haven't had too long but the more I use it the more I realize that the reels are junky. They were nice at first but they just don't hold up. So far I do like the rod but am still willing to try some other stuff in the same price range to see which I like better.

14. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    ive been using catmax rod and reels for 6 years now! i have never had a problem one! and i fish 150 days plus a year on the ohio river!

15. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    ive got a catmax rod and i like them alot,its one of my favorites.ive never used one of there reels but i havent heard alot of good things about them.

16. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    This post sounds like the rest, you either like them or you don't, I guess it comes down to what works for you, and what you trust, like I have said I personaly prefer them over the ugly stick, and I agree that the reels are somewhat sub quaility. Thanks for all your useful feedback.

17. camochris2

camochris2 New Member

State:
    nebraska city nebraska
    i love my cat max rods i have 5 of them the reels do suck but i catch a lot of big fish i have caught 70 pluse flatheads on them and my bigest blue 96 pounds on them in the missouri river no problems yet its the third year now

18. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Cattmax rods are all we own. We have 8 of them riged with 6500c3 reals and We absolutely love them. We have the medium heavy action 8.5 footers. We have had to take a few back on account of the eyes cracking. Matter of fact we lost a pretty decent size fish the other day because one of the eyes was cracked and the line was being frayed and cut when the fish was heavin on the rod. Fish wasnt evan pulling that hard when it broke. We saw what happened immediately when we saw the little bunched up waud of big game hung up in the eye. WE did get to see the fish though. He was prolly pushin 20lbs or so. Anyways, I do wish they would go with different eyes. To be honest I wish they would put the eyes on there poles that the tigers have. There in my mind would be no better pole out there if they did that!!! Hands down.

19. Bravesnflat25

Bravesnflat25 New Member

State:
    Anderson
    Catmaxx rods are really great. I own the 7'9 live bait model on a record 60. Good rod for the money. If you looking to get a new rod. Try out the America Spirit or Wildcat. I have a Wild Cat Trophy Cat. In the 7'6 medium heavy. To me it is as good or better than the catmaxx. A little thicker rod. Guides away alot better. I just wish they made the Wild Cat trophy cats in 8 or 9 foot.

20. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    cattmaxx rods are great, execpt for the eyes I have reraped a bunch using stainless eyes, I personally like the m/h