catmaxx eye repair?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by BassMassey, Nov 10, 2007.

1. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    while fishing yesterday afternoon i realized one of the eyes on my catmaxx rod was missing the ring. Whats the best way to go about repairing it? should i contact BPS? is it easy enough to do myself? I have 5 catmaxx rods and this is the first time i've had this happen. I'm not upset about the quality of the rod....it's a couple of years old i've gotten a lot of use out of it to say the least.......any help would be greatly appreciated

2. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    If you still have the insert they are easily popped back in with a pair of pliers. I bought two of the new models this year and have had inserts pop out of both of them already. Seems to me the they need to do a little work on upgrading the eyes on these rods.

3. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    I had that happen to me and I just used epoxy and havent had any problems since. Its not hard to repair yourself,a buddy of mine used supper glue on his and has had no more problems either. They are a very nice rod for the price. I would just make sure I didnt get any glue or epoxy inside the eye or it may fray or cut your line. I would pop the insert back in then put the epoxy/glue around the insert hole and insert to make sure its bonded together. If you use epoxy make sure it is the clear kind so it dosnt affect the good looks of the rod!:wink:

4. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.

I agree. a fast easy fix that will last for years. I fixed a few rod eyes with it years back for a friend and he still uses those rods and hasn't had any trouble with them since.

5. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    well that's the problem, I don't have the ring that popped out. I wonder if i could contact BPS and have them ship me one??

6. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Guides losing their rings are a common thing... I'd call BPS and just see what they tell you (squeeky wheel get's the grease) .. they may send you a new guide (my guess) since the rod is a couple years old...

Wrapping one is no problem, making the wraps pretty can be tricky.. but we're catfishermen right :wink: who need's pretty haha....

Here, follow this link... you'll find some video links. Windows on the left, Mac on the right... 5th one down (Wrapping Guides) will show you how to do it easy.
    http://shop.mudhole.com/Rod-Building-101#