Catishing Report - Dutch Gap 11-12-09

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by ramon06, Nov 12, 2009.

1. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Met Bluecat69 at Dutch Gap dock at 8am. The dock was about 3-4 inches under water. Took off and took us about 3 hours to get 1 cutter. Oh yeah we got a channel cat and a striper too lol :smile2:. nonetheless we started fishing with 1 cutter and a water moccassin like Eel I had. we chopped them up and ended up catching about 8-9 fish. The biggest being 25lbs, we got another 20, a few teens and some dinks. It was a great, wet, cold, rainy day. It was too choppy so we couldnt hit as many spots as we wanted too but we got pull downs all day. Not bad for about 4-5 hours. On the way in we hit the Henricus dock and it was only about 2' of pillar left on the dock. The bridge that connects the dock to ground was tipped over. You should've saw our faces upon arriving to the Dutch Gap dock around 5 (priceless) lol The dock was completely submerged and only about 18" of pillar was all you could see:crazy:. But that didnt deter us, we got the boat trailered with no problems. Overall a great day of fishing with plenty of laughs and stories. Cant wait to see what the dock will look like saturday after tonights and tomorrows rain :big_smile::wink::confused2::embarassed::crazy::tounge_out::sad2::eek:oooh: by the way hey Jason we didnt have to be rescued :smile2:

2. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    Lets talk bait for a second.
    We wanted to stay out of the elements as much as possible so we tried for bait in area we was fishing but no luck. After two hours I said the heck with it an head to deep bottom to get some bait. That was a mistake cause as soon as I rounded the corner there to head towards deep bottom we hit 3 foot white cap waves. One set of the net there with the incoming tide and high winds I tucked my tail an ran back to calmer waters. 1 shad an a big eel was good for me an Ramon.
    It was nasty but had a blast once we found us a spot that did not blow us around.
    Thanks for the great trip Ramon. Looking forward to when we can get out on calmer waters.

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Every year a boat or two or three capsize and folks get drowned on windy days on the James. March is the worst month it seems. Pretty days, been shut in for months etc. etc. Darn near got me in a 16 foot lowe roughneck jon boat 10 years ago crossing the big bay in front of Shirley Plantation. I have a bigger boat now but the wuzz factor keeps me out the wind in the protected stuff on the nasty days. Good call guys staying up river. Ain't no fish worth it. Hope to fish with my grandkids some day.

I am going on Monday! My Va Game Commission Calender has a big ole excellent fish symbol on it. I will have bothered the deer enough by then. I hope the river comes down a tad. 7 inches of rain at my house in western Henrico.

4. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I hope you tear 'em up Kenneth!

5. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    a couple pics from yesterday

Attached Files:

6. ramon06