Catifshing on the Missouri river-Anyone want to go along?

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA RIVERS TALK' started by fishinjunky, Jan 5, 2006.

1. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    hows everyone doing? anybody try the river for blues yet? i'm really wanting to get out and do some fishing. if anyone is up for it shoot me a p.m.?

2. whisker

whisker New Member

State:
    N.E. Nebrasky
    Where are you planning on fishing? Up here by Yankton last I checked (a couple weeks ago), the river was either froze up or flowing ice chunks.

3. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, IA (Omaha)
    Down here by Omaha/Council Bluffs the river is free flowing.

4. whisker

whisker New Member

State:
    N.E. Nebrasky
    First week of Feb. :cool: open water just about everywhere! I'm headed out today to fish up something...(after I set out decoys in case the geese want to play) We have a cold front coming in and it may be back to ice within a couple weeks!

5. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    whisker how did you do? geese or cats? i'm probly gonna try and kill some geese next weekend, sounds like it's gonna be a hell of a year for sky carp.

6. whisker

whisker New Member

State:
    N.E. Nebrasky
    Didn't even see a bird! The groups we were seeing must have fed out and moved up to the river, or Lewis and Clark. I couldn't get the fish to cooperate either. I was at a farm pond and tried a bunch of different baits and depths,...nothing. I was hoping to catch some bluegills to use for cutbait up at Gavins Point dam,...but again....nothing. The wind came up and a cold front started moving in around noon. With the wind coming in out of the north I didn't really expect to see many birds. Let me know when you see 'em heading my way!:cool:

7. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    no problem, with all this cold it will probly be another 2 weeks at least before the sky carp get here. i got a 1 acre pond in the middle of two corn fields that i'm gonna hit up, scratched a few out of their last year. was thinkin about hitting the river this morning until i stepped outside, amazing how the cold can change your mind so fast.

8. craigr

craigr New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    So how was the fishing?

I go to Dodge Park here in Omaha, every Saturday morning to check out the River. - Waiting for it to come up enough to get my boat back up the ramp.

I've got a bad case of cabin fever and wish they would bring it up soon. But, I know I have a while to wait yet.

craigr

9. Manolo56

Manolo56 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Boy, do I know what you mean! I have a near terminal case of CF. Last week I thought I may survive when I could fish the ponds on the farm. Now they have froze over again and a Blue Funk is coming over me.:sad:

10. craigr

craigr New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    My father and I went to a local swap meet here in Omaha, not expecting to find much. I ended up getting a couple of crank baits and 'river weights' that I haven't seen before. After seeing all of that tackle & equipment, I am really chomping on the bit to hit the river. Dad is even talking about taking a rod down and pitching from shore, and it had to be down around 20° this morning. (Burrrrr).

Spring can't get here soon enough.

craigr

11. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    You can still get in the river over at Lake Manawa State Park. I never realized they had such long ramps until the other day when I went down there and a guy was just pushing off to go after some blues.

12. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I would love to go out on the river and press my luck, the only thing is I live about 60 miles south of omaha!

TA2D

13. whisker

whisker New Member

State:
    N.E. Nebrasky
    I'm pretty sure there was an 80+ pound blue caught just south of Omaha not long ago.....they're in there.

14. dannybcc

dannybcc New Member

State:
    Sioux City, Iowa
    Hello,
    Just took my grandson and dog down to the Missourri here in Sioux City to scope out spots. River is free of ice chunks now here. Still down about 5-6' from normal. But it is 20 degrees out. I forgot it was still February.
    Danny J

15. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    if it wasn't raining i'd be down at boyer chute today. i'm really getting the fever, its already march and i've only been out twice this year.

16. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    I've been out a few times already. Last sunday i went up to Wilson Island/Desoto Bend. Didn't get any bites, but I was able to scope out some nice locations and holes around some of the wing dykes over there.
    I love Boyer Chute I was gonna go up there yesterday, but I busted my cat rod earlier this week. So now I have to wait for my new one from catfishconnection.

17. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    do they have boat ramps to the river at desoto?

18. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Not at DeSoto, but there's one at Wilson Island. When I was there the river was still too low to put in. Don't worry though, the corp of engineers opened up Gavins Point this week to get the river up to the needed levels for barge traffic. So this weekend I'm going back up there to hit some of the spots I scouted in the previous post.
    Here's a lil info about Wilson Island from the Iowa DNR, there's a link on there for a map too.