CatfishSafari Trophy, check this out woodworkers! WOW!

Discussion in 'Jims Woodworking' started by Catgirl, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Have you ever seen a trophy made of wood before? Well I haven't that I can recall, and I think this is really :cool2:. Whoever comes out on top in the CatfishSafari Shoot-out will be lucky in more ways than one! Great job Rusty! :big_smile:

www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88975

(More pictures further along in the thread.....)

2. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    Thanks Tanya. I appreciate the complements. This is what I do when not working my real job...LOL..

3. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    very nice, I saw it over there & was hoping he or somebody would post it here for all to see who work with wood in their spare time, again great job!!!

4. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    That is some nice work Rusty....Looks Sharp!!!!

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Rusty you do some great work. The winner of that tournament will win twice. Nice!!!!!!!!!!11111

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Awesome Rusty.
    Can you tell us what kind of wood you used and how you made it?

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Catgirl thats some nice work, congrats Rusty.

8. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Now that is some fine craftsmanship right there. Rusty you did a fantastic job on the trophy, anyone would be proud to have that one. Isn't slangin sawdust fun?

9. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    I will give it a try Troy

The Trophy is made from Walnut except for the rods, reels and the men. The center of the trophy is solid Walnut so I could turn the cup down with the Lathe. The handles were cut out with a band saw and shaped with my dremel tool. The spindels were also turned down with the Lathe. The boat is also Walnut. It was cut out and the center was taken out with a adj. vice on the dril press and a router tool. The rods are yellow tooth picks. the reels are 1/4 " dowel rods cut to length. The motor is Walnut cut with Dremel tool and the belt sander. The men are some of the Grandsons firemen I cut and shaped to fit what I wanted. The prop is made from sterling silver. That should help up the price a little. A little paint and varnish and its done.

10. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    I almost forgot. The Plaque on the front was carved with a dremel tool It is also Walnut. It is held up with two #8/0 Circle hooks ...I finally found something these hooks are good for. LOL...

11. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Very cool!
    How long did it take to make?

12. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    I'm not sure, around 12-15 hours I am guessing because I didn't do it all at once. Just a little every few days. worked on it for about three weeks.