catfishrollo: question for you, bud.....

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Flatspontoons, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Flatspontoons

Flatspontoons New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hi Rollo,

I noticed in the "what hook do you use for flatheads?" thread you mentioned you now prefer the Gamakatsu Octopus J-hooks in 8/0 - 10/0 sizes.....

I, too, am very impressed with the Gamakatsu Octopus hooks....however, I noticed that the 8/0 and larger J-hooks are offered in the "standard" and "4X strong" shank-thickness's.....

My thought is that the "standard" shank-thickness looks plenty stout, and that the "4X strong" might be too heavy/cumbersome to keep a live bait-fish swimming vigorously all night long (although they would be just fine for cut-bait applications)....

What is your opinion on these two choices?

Thanks much,
    Richard

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have some of the 4X, and the only thing i can say,... besides of course they a a heartier hook in diameter,, they are more expensive! LOL.. atleast around here! The gamus are super sharp and they are strong, I'm can't see needing a bigger diameter hook, I run mostly 30 and 40 pound big game, and if I get one straightened, then i was doing something!!!:wink: I believe in fair chase, and still think them reg, octupus hooks, along with the good line is all you need to still be leadin :smile2: ... let me know if you find any different results between the two diameter sizes...goodluck....rollo

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    sounds like some big ole hooks, I didn't know they even made these things

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i dunno if they make them anymore or not.. I don't buy them,,, i just checked and i have a few pks. left of the smaller 0/0... I think the reg. 8-10 hook is the best i have ever seen.. I used to run kahles, but these are the cats butt in my opinion.......rollo

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    they still make the 4x strong hooks...I see no need in the and consider them way overkill.....If I let a fish straighten out a reg gama hook it's my fault.

6. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I also use regular gamas (dungotchus} as we call them here, they are super sharp and if you aren't carefull they done got cha. I have never seen the 4x strong they would be overkill for catfish application imo. Maybe they are for ocean fishing?

7. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I use the 8/0 and 10/0 Gamakatsu 4x strong down in Fl. for Snapper and Grouper. I would think it would be to much for freshwater.