CATFISHROLLO headin to the James River!!!

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by catfishrollo, Jan 16, 2008.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey you james river catmen, im heading to the river the first week of march. i have no guide lined up, nor much information. i will be bringing my boss and his college son with me along with my boat thats a G3 1756 duckboat with a 60/40 merc. jet on it... i need information on alot of things here. we are stickly CPR guys and just want to catch our first blues, and possibly catch a good one! we will be spending atleast 3-4 days down there. if anyone can send me links to hotels, fishing licence fees or has anything that will help our trip be sucessful i would greatly appreciate it. also, being we don't have alot of money to spend on a guide, if any of you locals would be interested in taking us out, one day to fish to give us an idea what we are doing, i will make it more than right with you, and also give plenty of pics. and bragging rights on you here.. so please post what you can to help me out, or shoot me a pm... looking forward to the james, and to meeting some of you also.....rollo

2. Capt_Culver

Capt_Culver New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I, too, am another Ohio transplant making my first trip down this April. I will be fishing late April and am wondering if this is a good time to come. I have already booked with Hugh and looking forward to it.

Rollo, we seem to think alike. I have a G3 1860 duckboat with a 60hp yamaha.:smile2:

3. Trophy Hunter

Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Virginia
  4. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
  5. fish-n-pitch

fish-n-pitch New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Rollo, depending on what you are looking for their are many places to stay in Hopewell, but you have to worry about everything being stolen out of the boat. When i go i stay at the rivers rest which is on the chick, you don't have to worry about any of your stuff being stolen. they have a website just google it. As far as spots to fish, i fish down river from jordan point in the big water. I would give you a few general areas if you send a PM. Hope this helps.

spencer

6. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Good luck Rollo let us know how you do. Hope you catch some hogs.:wink::cool2:

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Jason, good luck on your trip:cool2:. That should be a fun trip with a good chance to catch some PB's:cool2:.

8. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I recommend the Comfort Inn in Chester. It's cheap and it's nice. Hooters wings are right down the road.:wink: Stay away from the Days Inn, seedy joint.

9. jwfish

jwfish New Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    I stay at the days inn in chester about 58 a night and have been there 5 times with no problems.I do take my poles in at night and my fishfinder but you park your boat by the office and it is well lite.I will be going down with my daughter the third week of febuary and will give a report on bait and fishing,email if you have any questions.

10. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    Jason,pm fishook,him and his wife were down there recently and did real well,I think they are going back this month or feb,John will help you he is good people

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i know how tight lipped locals can be on their rivers.. i am the same way here. if any of you are interested in meeting and fishing the first day to show me the ends and the outs, i would greatly appreciate it. i am getting some good info already, and i thank those that have posted and sent me things. i don't care about finding honey holes as much as i just want to find fish, and have a good trip. my bosses son is a good kid, and i don't care to even land a fish myself. but, want him to have a goodtime, and be able to appreciate the vacation and his dad and me for taking him...rollo

12. Wiskerstickerr

Wiskerstickerr New Member

State:
    North Caro
    My partner is in VA and has been doing great the past few weeks. This sounds right up his alley.

13. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Good luck Fellas...........................

14. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    The comfort inn in chester is a good place too stay. still though i wouldnt leave anything, not locked up or bolted down in my boat anywhere i stay but thats up to you. as for places to fish, jordans point and deep bottom are both good spots to hook a hog. me and my friend have caught a 64lb 56lb 54lb and many 40+ lb cats at jordans point. when fishing at deep bottom try fishing the wing dams. you can ask locals what the wing dams are.fish the edge of the channel when at jordans point. PM me if you need some help with your gear.

15. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thanks for all the help brothers, but,,, lol...i have never seen so many tight mouthed people!! lol.. mouth me if you wanna, but... you are some of the best i've seen!!!:wink:rollo