Catfishrollo and Crew takes on the James River Blues!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Mar 5, 2008.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well Folks, here is the James River results for myself, and the two bass fishermen from Ohio, that are now addicted catfishermen!!. As you may know, we arrived on Sunday, and got to check out the Notorious James River that I have been dreaming about going to for along time now! Let me tell you all, this was everything and more that I expected! The river is beautiful! We did some scouting on the first evening for a couple hours, and wetted a couple lines for the fun of it to get our adrenaline going for the next day! Monday, we all caught our first blues! Nothing big, but were all excited about the fish. If I remember right, we boated 9 blues with no citations, mostly being 4-8 pounders. All were caught on cut shad, I tried targeting humps, and channel edges, and points with either sharp drop offs or creek arms associated with them off from the main river. Monday evening was nice to get to meet Capt. Hugh and Randy, along with fellow Ohio Brothers, S-man, Tspergin, and Loanwizard, who were nice enough this week not only to invite and insist we had dinner with them all after their guide trip Monday night. But, also helped me with bait this week!! I owe you guys !!! Thank you for the help, I had no gill net, just a throw net and brought shad from home, but didn't have them big cutters!:wink: Yesterday, we headed out for day two. After not spending but a half hour fishing we had a quick pick up that dropped the bait. Within minutes, we had another rod go down, my bosses son who I took crabbed the rod to set into a fish that was respectable, but not looking to be big. I quickly grabbed the video camera ( which I learned later had the lense cap still on) lol.. and started taping the fight! His dad takes pictures for a hobby, and was snapping away at the fight his son was enduring. After a few seconds, I decided to try to tape with my right hand, and net using just my left. The fish was swimming back towards the boat, and I dropped my landing net into the water as the fight went from a good fish to one now that had us watching in awe! I will say the fish was in fairly shallow water by now, As the fish swam to the boat it turned direction, coming up towards the baot and my net! I quickly learned that a one-handed net job, on a possible good fish, almost sent me overboard with the camera!! LMAO!! Well, let me say, Im not one to exaggerate or over speculate! But, this fish once landed was a brute! I tried to get a weight with my 50lb. spring scales, but never got the fish off the bottom of the boat before they immediately bottomed out and blew the handle off! WOW!!!! Now, Im pumped! You can check the pic.s out and decide for yourself, but with a length around 47 or so inches taken from the rope I cut to measure and a girth measurement that would fit around myself, lol...the fish was figured to be in the 65-70 pound range at a local bait store, where we took pic.s so they could help! My boss suggested trying to take the fish to weigh, but I explained the importance of CPR, and he agreed understanding it isn't worth endangering the fish! OK, after that.... I caught a 40, and he caught a 25... LOL.... Here are a few pic.s... I will try to post more later. We had a lot of fun, and I was glad that they caught good fish. I wasn't sure how it was going to go never fishing for blues before, and choosing not to guide on my first trip, but with the help of the BOC and some a few others, I think our first trip was successful and look foward to going back! Thanks again to you all for the input, and confidence in telling me I won't get skunked! LOL...rollo

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Sounds like a great trip catching some HAWGS and meeting some BOC Brothers. Look forward to seeing the pics:cool2:.

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Way cool Rollo. Sounds to me like ya'll mauled em. Congrats and i'm glad it was a good trip for ya'll.

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Wheres the pics? I wanna see.:wink:Congratulations on a GREAT trip!

5. Angler4life

Angler4life New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Well said Rollo! We had a heck of a time!

6. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Congrats on the successful trip Rollo and crew!! Sounds like you guys had a great time down on the James. Looks like you even recruited a new member also.

7. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Way to go Bro ... I knew you could do it ......... Uhhh .... where are the picts? ........ Garry- :wink:

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    im working on them here.. having a few issues. will post soon:wink: rollo

9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Out freekin standin! Glad ya had a great time.

10. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Outstanding report Rollo!! Man I'm freeken jealous!! Great Job on the successful trip and thanks for sharing!! :worship::worship::worship:

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    here is myself and kenny with a couple...rollo

Attached Files:

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    here is a picture of the drew's fish eating the big net I have..lol....rollo

Attached Files:

13. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    MORE!! WE WANT MORE!!! :smile2::smile2:

14. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    great pics and congrats on a really good trip, i hope to go there within the next year :big_smile:

15. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    here is myself holding the biggest fish boated on my boat now!... :big_smile: rollo

Attached Files:

16. Shadow Hunter

Shadow Hunter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Congrats!!!! Good to hear youall had a great trip. Is it me or is that smile in your avatar larger? :003::smile2:

17. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This is CPR in the finest form, and maybe is the best pic. for the size of this fish? I think Drew could have got his head in his mouth! LOL... Congratulations Drew on your personal best fish!!!!! I will try to have scales to accurately weigh next time I promise!!!! Anyway, it was a great experience for us all, and im proud of you!!!! rollo:big_smile:

Attached Files:

18. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Great picts Jason .... Thanks for sharing with us .... Garry- :smile2:

19. wareagle

wareagle New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks for sharing the pics. Thats some good fish.

20. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Those are definately some nices bluse. Good job Rollo and Crew!:0a31: