CATFISHRESCUE STATE CHART AND PETITION UPDATED

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Catfish_Commando, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    CATFISHRESCUE STATE CHART AND PETITION UPDATED

The petition located on http://catfishrescue.com/Catfish_Petition.htm has been updated. The new State tracking chart has been updated to reflect which States are showing the strongest support.

2. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Dunno what the problem is. I've tried to sign that thing three times now. I quit trying. Hope y'all do some good with it.

3. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    It is manually hand updated. Its not a PHP or a CGI script like found elsewhere on the internet. It gets updated ever 2-3 days, with the date of last update written below the PDF icon. If you submitted the e-mail form, you will be added on the next update.

Thanks for your support.

4. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Forty-leven Illinois members and only two of us voted???:embarassed:

5. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    Is this serious Paul? Without regard for the ecology of the individual river system you are pushing across the board nation wide regulation of catfish? this is a bit, right? This must be a skit.

6. Wooly

Wooly New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Id like to see big cats released but...... There is so much government intervention these days. But..... some people over harvest.
    Like I said I need to ponder on this one for a bit. Pros and cons on both sides.

Wooly

7. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    MY mistake Paul I opened it again just now and realized it is not from your site. My apologies to you.

8. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    What could be bad about banning the harvest of large catfish from public lakes with the intention of putting them in pay lakes? It might be bad for the pay lake owners...but oh well. Let the catfish in public waters stay in public waters for the public's use. I'm part of the public & I can't afford to pay someone for the right to fish.

Does anybody know if wild game animals are allowed to be taken from public land to be used in private hunting preserves? I don't know but I doubt it. Why should fish be different than game?

9. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    Well sir, if you'd really like to know... (man I'm about tired of arguing this)....

That is all emotional based thinking, that "our big fish are being stolen from us by these poachers" and scientifically, biologically, and ecologically it has no factual basis. The big fish in question are at the top of the food chain, except for us. To artificially protect them without reguard for the individual ecosystem that those fish are in would very well be disastrous. While one river system may improve, another would be likely be decimated by an over abundance of large predator fish. Just ask some of the guys in the SC low country how the redbreast fishing is since the flatheads have begun to flourish in the Wacamma, Pee Dee, Bull Creek area. It may be better now but in the late 90's the DNR asked us to bait all the set lines we could work with live bream to thin them out. However such a rule would benefit the Santee Lakes. As a matter of fact they put one in to protect the big blue cats.

But any blanket regulation, whatever it is, would be bad for our river systems. It's just poor management.

10. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich

I can respect that. It would make more sense to manage the fisheries water body by water body instead of state by state. However, I still don't like the idea of somebody taking fish that I could possibly catch out of the river & placing them in pay lakes that I can't afford to fish in. If you want to control the fish populations, let the sportsmen do it.

As to having a blanket 34" limit on keeper fish well...I will freely admit that I can be as selfish as the next guy. I want to catch big catfish, not bluegills or redbreast. I never made any claims one way or the other on what would be best environmentally or ecologically. I am merely trying to protect my sport. The same way that bluegill or redbreast fishermen would like to protect their sport by reducing the numbers of flatties...just depends on where you're coming from.

11. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    I don't like the idea of big fish coming out of these lakes and river either. But the commercial fishermen catching them are usually licensed and are legal to do that. And commercial fishing is part of the management equation. If you don't have a balanced ecosystem, you are not going to be catching trophy fish for long.

See we're not that far apart on this. I just think that any blanket legislation is unwise. Management should be left to wildlife biologist, not internet fishermen.

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thats the whole point, commercial fishing for trophy catfish should be illegal...Say what you want, but they are hurting the fishery in areas where it's legal.

13. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    Oh, ok... prove it

14. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Now if I am getting this right on this thread and the previous post in it.

The self interest are condemning the other self interest IF they disagree with them.

The selfish are condemning the selfish IF they disagree with them.

All agree with everyone that agrees with them.

All disagrees with all that disagrees with them.

Yep.We are a family!

I love the BOC!

I truly believe what goes on on the BOC helps keep me alive.It hurts bad to laugh,but it is worth every bit of the pain.You make my days!

I do believe that the child never grows old in the hunter and the fisherman.I am thankful that I was and am both.

I know that you are all serious,but I am too.I have found fun and entertainment in this and many threads.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

15. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I sure don't think the commercial fisherman are targeting Just BIG CATFISH as YOU State,,,They fish for a living ,and cannot help what they catch.And from what I read freshwater commercial fishing is'nt what it used to be,,Far less than one thinks.

But I would like to ask a ? TO ALL BOC Members.

If you owned a 35 acre farm that had a 10 acre lake on it about , averaging 18'deep.fed water by a spring, or mayby a small creek. And you stocked it ..

Now if you were fishing at some other river/creek or lake and you caught a 15-50# Channel / Blue or flathead....and could keep it alive IN YOUR LIVEWELL or by other means,,since you can travel 20 miles with them in the back of your truck and they still are kicking,, Just because you could put it in your lake..

HOW MANY WOULD THROW IT BACK..? :cool2:

The Preacher.

16. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I voted and never had it appear on any list.

17. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I spent several hours the past two days going back through all the entries in the Catfish Rescue petition. If you name is not on the updated list your entry was missing some of the necessary information. First and last names, state are a must so you can be entered. If you don't see your name on the list please re send your information.
    I posted about this on another thread to keep everyone updated. http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71740
    There are still several entry attempts that were missing some or even all of the necessary information. There is nothing more I can do with the old entries. If you would please submit you info again I will get it on the next update. I will be updating the list every couple of days or as demand makes it necessary. I will post when a new update is made.

Thanks everyone,
    David

18. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich

I think there may be some misconceptions as to what this petition is all about. In order to help clear things up a little bit I'd like to post the exact wording of the petition:

We the undersigned petition State and Local Government to ban the use of catfish procured from public waters from being used in the operations of pay lakes. We also ask that catfish be given game fish status and limit sport fishermen to one catfish per day over 34 inches and commercial fishermen to none.

The petition asks that fish not be taken from public waters & put into privately owned pay lakes. This seems to be a reasonable request as most would consider the fish in public waters to be a public resource. I don't think they would let us capture wild game animals on public land & then take them to privately owned hunting preserves.

The second sentence of this petition also seems reasonable. It asks that catfish be given the status of game-fish. Catfish are increasingly becoming a major game fish. I believe In-Fisherman Magazine said that they are one of the top 5 game fish in the USA.

Bass are, I believe, the number one game fish in America. Are bass allowed to be taken from public waters & put into pay lakes? (I don't actually know, so I was hoping someone could tell me.) Are bass allowed to be harvest commercially for any reason? I don't know for sure but I doubt it. If bass can be protected due to their popularity with sport fishermen, why can't catfish?

Also, if you read that last part of the petition closely, it seems to be asking that commercial fishermen just not be allowed to keep fish over 34". I do realize that they can't help what they catch but when they catch a 30lb, 40lb, 50lb or larger fish they don't have to keep it. They could just let it go.

The petition asks that catfish over 34" not be taken by commercial fishermen. This seems reasonable because when the fish get much larger than that their taste starts to suffer & they become more polluted. The only good reason to keep a larger fish would be to put it in a pay pond. I just don't think that's right.

Now as to your question: Would I keep a big catfish if I had my own pond to put it in?...well,...I'd be tempted, certainly. However, I believe that I would be able to overcome that temptation. Before joining the BOC I can say that I very likely would have done just what you suggested. But I've learned a lot about the importance of catch & release since joining the BOC & I think we should let the big ones go.

God Bless,
    Matt

19. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This site has over 16 thosand members, I am sure we can get more than a few hundred to sign up?

20. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Hopefully we can start to gain some momentum with this in the days ahead. The numbers will grow as mambers see these post and undrestand what it is about.
    If you agree with the following statement, than your name needs to be on the petition.
    http://catfishrescue.com/index.htm

Thanks
    David