Catfishing with worms

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by king fisher, May 20, 2007.

1. king fisher

king fisher New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Today while bream fishing from a dock i found a new way to catch spring catfish. when i stoped at the gas station and picked up some night crawlers i was ready to fish but didn' t know what would come. i had read the fishing reports for lake murry on the internet and it said that the cats could be caught on the bottom with cut herring and night crawlers and night crawlers for bream. when i got there i did like the reports said and tried to catch some bait for my big catfishing rod. after i caught 3 big chell crackers i got my crappie pole out the old type with no reel where you have to tug upwards to get the fish out the water.i rigged it up with a night crawler and let it sink to the bottom little did i know what was coming when i jigged the worm up i felt something trying to eat it so i set the hook.all of a sudden the rod bent from tip to butt. as the fish tried to excaape under the dock i had to let the rod down so the line woulden't snap. As the fish tired i pulled as much line back a possiable but he made another run this happened about 3 more times. finaly when he was tired i pulled up really hard and the fish surfaced tired but with a little fight left. when i leaned uver to puck him up the like got stuck on a boat cleve which stoped the last attempt to get away to my amazment when i leaned over to pick the fish i saw it was a nice 1 nad a half to 2 foot catfish and weighed about 4 to 5 pounds. I remembered the repot and thought to my self that report was acurite. thnks for reading

2. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    night crawlers huh? ill remember that

3. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    I've always had pretty good luck with worms, you can catch just about everything with them?

I went a couple weeks ago and tried a bunch of different baits and worms was the only thing I caught anything on that day and ended up bringing home 15 keepers?

Ken

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've seen myself pretty decent flatties taken on crawlers...Never underestimate the cats...:confused2::roll_eyes::lol:

5. jcara3043

jcara3043 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yes you all are right you can catch just about anything on night crawlers. Here in TN I keep getting the ever so popular DRUM on them lately. Hope this changes soon.....I might have to go Bass Fishing........

6. MDC river runner

MDC river runner New Member

State:
    kansas
    I caught my personal best flathead on rod and real (40#) while fishing for channels with night crawlers using a bass rod with 12# test line. One heck of a fight.

7. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    ALWAYS HAVE A POLE WITH NIGHT CRAWLERS ON IT. That is a golden rule of catfishing!!!

8. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Caught a lot catfish on worms and grasshoppers in a farm pond.

9. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    AINT THAT THE TRUTH!!!
    Sometimes you gotta look around and get some nice fat ones, dont put just one on eaither, put 5 or 6. most i had one time was a dozen on one 4/0 treble and only cought a channel that was probably a pound at the most. then i had 2 or 3 on a 5/0 circle and cought my PB cat of 12 pounds (gunna get a big flat this year). seems like sometimes things just wanna flip around on ya.

10. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    I never go out on a lake or a smaller river without at least two boxes of night crawlers.

11. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    we sometimes over look the simple baits iv been using shad and chubs and other live fish so long i forget the other natural bait , night crawlers . think il hit moms yard tonight and see how many i can collect

12. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Nightcrawlers has been the go to bait for cats for me for nearly 40 years. You can't go wrong. I know it was mucho fun catching that cat on the crappie pole.:big_smile:

Cheez

13. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    sounds like you had a ball with that crappie pole........also have to say we never go out with out a box of worms...You can always catch something on the OLD TRIED AND TRUSTED NIGHT CRAWLER...

14. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I catch big night crawlers in the yard and keep them in a big cooler. I always have 1 rod out with crawlers.:big_smile:

15. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    yea always a good idea to have a couple dozen handy...everytime we use bait fish and worms the worms usualy catch more fish than the live baitfish do

16. boozer

boozer New Member

State:
    kansas
    when i use worms i cant keep the drum off

17. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    Always good to have some nightcrawlers. If you can`t catch some cats on worms then it`s time to go home!!! BUT, you can get driven crazy by perch, drum, turtles, and even crawfish. I believe the largest fish are caught on bigger baits (and I know there are plenty of exceptions). The bigger baits (for me) being shad, perch, and most important skipjack. Bait depends on the water you are fishing. I also believe that the best bait comes right out of the very waters you are fishing. The cats are used to the smell /taste of shad, perch, etc, that are living in their area.
    Not trying to tell anyone what to do, just been my experience.

18. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    when it comes a good rain and the creeks go on a rize we catch lots of flatheads on worms.this year the creeks have stayed on a rize and im having to fish a lake so the worms have been pretty safe.lol