catfishing with shad

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by catfisherman369, Jun 5, 2008.

1. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I was trying some cut shad a few days ago and used the middle section with the guts in it . i kept getting quick bites and then nothing . after 10 minutes of so i would reel in the bait and noticed the catfish was getting the guts out of the cut shad . so i then decided to experiment with shad using whole , cut , heads , guts , tail , and whole just scaled , and whole scaled with about 3 to 4 cuts in the sides . after about 5 hours just fishing on bottom it seemed the channels wanted the guts or small pieces about 1 inch x 3 inch . the flat heads seem to like the whole shad scaled with cuts in the side kept 12 of the 27 we caught smallest being 6 pounds and i would have pictures if i hadnt had my camera go swimming in coffeen lake last saturday :angry:. im sure other lakes are different and i have never seen a blue come from the lake i was fishing i hear the blues like the heads . im headed to the kaskaskia this weekend to see what the different baits do there . i usually use sonnys blood and it produces but hardly ever over 10 pounds so im trying to figure out the shad as bait thing any suggestions would be valuable .

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Shad gut is one of the best baits going, if you cut the gut pocket around you will find that you can put the hook directly into the bite..... :wink: I like to cut them leaving just a little meat all around the gut, then slip the hook into the guts them self.

3. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i usually use the whole shad or just the head.

4. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I am a huge fan of the middle of shad cut. The guts are what I caught all my pbs on.

5. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Again sewing thread comes to the rescue. when i use a shad gut pocket, I wrap a few turns of sewing thread around it, and tie it off so they can't suck the guts out of it...

6. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    good one. ive never thought of that before.

7. BIGCAT GarryEads

BIGCAT GarryEads Head Cheese of the USCA!

State:
    Francisco Ind
    Go to wally mart and get some pony tail rubber bands ,you can get 100-150 of then for $2.00 . And wrap one of them on the gut pocket ,It works great.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Great idea Gary. I had never thought of that. Cheap and simple. Thanks.