Catfishing with jugs in Oklahoma

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by brandon, Jan 30, 2006.

1. brandon

brandon New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I have a few questions for the regular juggers. When rigging do you tie your hooks directly to the main line or do you tie drops from the main line. How deep do you usually set your jugs. What amount of weight if any do you attatch to the bottom of the jug. Thanks

2. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    I make about a 12 inch leader which is attached to the main line by makeing a loop in it and tieing it off then looping the leader around threw it. Dont like useing swivles they just casuse problems when you get a big fish on get all tangled up. The depth I would set my jugs really depends on what time of year im fishing and the area im fishing. I like to head out and useing the fish finder figure out where the shad are holding during the day and find some type of structure if it be a sand bar, old creek channel, or a big hump. I try to stay within 20ft of water and no more deeper than 40ft of water. for a weight find you a 12oz plastic water bottle cut the top off. make you some loops out of heavy duty wire get you some concret and pour it into the plastic bottle then shove the wire into it. the reason for useing plastic bottles is to keep from marking up the side of your boat

3. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    The majority of our jug fishing is done with 7 ft. braided line with an egg sinker contained between two knots about a one ft. above the hook on the end of the line. Circle or Kahles are used with cut Perch or Shad if they are avaliable. It doesn't require a big piece of bait to catch fish.

4. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    heres a couple pics of the setup i use

Attached Files:

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Wow I didn't know you had to have "lines and hooks":sad: Here in NC when we go jug fishing all we take are well endowed females.;)

6. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa

might add info on that type of jug fishing to the library

7. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    i usually make three drops off my main line. as far as depth i use different depths depending on where and how i am fishing. if i am floating the river i use as little weight as i can get by with and still keep the line vertical. that mainly depends on current and bait size. if i am setting out jugs on bottom. i use some 24 oz weights i built with pop bottle and concrete. this seems to work well in creeks. i have caught some decent flatheads using this method.

8. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    Jim:

I wanna go Jugfishin with you guys. Sounds like you all have it figgered out. LOL

Gene

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    First of all, there's freefloating your jugs, and anchoring your jugs. Most of the time, I freefloat my jugs, usually in a current. I use a 16p or 20p nail on the bottom of the jugline, except somewhere like the Mississippi River, which would probably require a little more weight. The bottom hook is 12" above the nail. I want the bottom hook as close to the bottom as possible without hanging up too often; an occasional hangup is acceptable. Hooks are spaced every 3' up the jugline to within 6' or so of the surface. Sometimes the bottom hooks catch the most; sometimes the top hook. I make 4" droppers on the jugline and attach the hooks to the droppers.
    With anchored jugs, I use a weight roughly equal to half the floatation capacity of the jug. With my 2-liter jugs, that means a 2# weight. If you use too heavy a weight and the cat pulls the jug into deeper water, it will simply disappear underwater, never to be found. I attach a trotline clip to the cap of my anchored jugs. I put about 75' of line on each of those jugs, with 4" droppers every 3'. That way, I can let out line till the weight rests on bottom, then fasten the trotline clip into a dropper just above the surface. That keeps additional line from unwinding. With a long jugline, I attach the hooks to the droppers with trotline clips so I can quickly remove the hooks as I pull in the line (for safety).

10. JRS

JRS New Member

State:
    Lufkin,Texas
    Do you folks use jugs mostly at night or day time?

11. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    On a lake, mostly at night. On the navigation channel, day and night

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I jug mostly during the day, but I think that they're most productive at night. Here in Arkansas, we're allowed to leave the jugs unattended from sundown to sunup, but we have to attend them at all times during daylight hours.

13. brandon

brandon New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I have done both but the only success I have had has been at night.

14. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I generally run most of my jugs during the day but I set them out overnight and run them in the morning in most cases. During the heat of the summer you will have a lot of "robbers" taking your bait like turtles and gar. The turtles are not near as bad during the night and this is also when a lot of active catfish are feeding. If you place jugs out right at dark and run them in the morning you results can be a lot better than setting them out at noon and running them the next morning. Winter time is great for jugs because the turtle and gar robbers are not near as bad. Different times of the year tactics can be different. During winter and the spring prespawn there are good anytime day or night. Summertime can be hard and nightime jugfishing is more productive.

15. Creek6

Creek6 New Member

State:
    OK
    I seem to catch more Blues in the daytime and more Flatheads at night on my jugs.

16. rpcathunter

rpcathunter New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I make my leaders with a wide gap hook, 10" of leader tied to a trot line clipp, then I have 2 large swivels on the main line, thats so I can remove tha hooks when I row and unrow the main line.

17. srjones

srjones New Member

State:
    midwest city, ok
    I always put a swivel on the main line and put the hook on a leader. Its a real pain in the put and time consuming to try to untwist and untangle a line that a large cat has rolled on. One time I caught a 32lb cat on one of my jugs and he just rolled and rolled. The main line was 50ft long but when I pulled the jug and fish out of the water the main line was twisted so bad the it was only about five foot lonf from the jug to he weight. I had checked that jug just an hour before.
    Also for weights I just take 20oz soda bottles, put a piece of wire in a loop and fill it with quick-crete.