Catfishing with artificial lures?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Cerwin0, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Cerwin0

Cerwin0 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Ive been fishing in a lake formed when a salt dome collapsed and ive seen the cats swimming around feeding on top the water. Ive exhausted almost every bait I can think of on the bottom and under a cork, but the only cats ive hooked up have been with a chartreuse curly tail jig. Am i dealing with unusually finicky fish or is there some reason these fish wont take the bait. Does anyone here have success using plastics or does that seem odd? Any insight into this matter would be greatly appreciated!

2. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i've caught cats like that before,but not with any regularity.interested to hear if anyone has any answers.and :0a25:to the BOC. have you tried small crappie minnows.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009

3. Cerwin0

Cerwin0 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    One problem in the lake is the HEALTHY gar population. Ive caught some crappie and some bass but when I drop a minnow its usually gobbled up by a nasty gar fish. Ive thrown hot dogs, liver, dough bait, homemade concoctions, bream, shad, etc. And the cats dont even nibble on it. Im going out there saturday with a few new ideas so ill see what happens. Hopefully ill have some good pics to show off, but if history tells us anything...i probably wont. Thanks for the welcome by the way. Im glad to have found some help in my undying pursuit of the ol' whisker fish!

4. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Hey Corey, welcome to the BOC. Wow, that is certainly a different circumstance that you have posted. I have never used artificial lures to catch catfish. I am interested in seeing what kind of responces you get with this post. Again, welcome to the BOC...tight lines:cool2:

5. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    I have actually caught some fairly nice cats on artificials, but not on purpose. mostly when i was muskie fishing or bass fishing and they would come out and hit them. however on the Outdoor network a few years ago they did a show on catching cats on crank baits. if you are going to throw artificials, you are going to catch gar as well along with the other predatory fish in the area. but if you are like me you like catching fish and if you cant target just one species then the others will take up the time in between.

6. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've caught two channels on artificial at different times (years apart). Bass lure on a lake and silver spoon on the river and both came as a surprise as I wasn't targeting cats in either case. I'd say it was just the luck of the draw. Stay safe and welcome to the BOC!!!:wink:

7. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    what kind of cats are in there?

8. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    I have caught a number of channels when I am crappie fishing in the spring on tube jigs, its a real suprise when a 5lb channel is on the end of my 10 foot crappie rod. i hav caught a few on crank baits, and my largest flathead was on a crank bait

9. Cerwin0

Cerwin0 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Ive seen blues and channels, caught only blues though. The rain here has raised the water level about 3-4 ft. The cats have been top feeding on the junk washed into the lake by the rainwater i guess. I have been told stories of big channels and big blues coming out of this particular lake but i am yet to see anything over 7 or 8 lbs. Any ideas out there on how to turn the bite on? Thanks for all the welcomes to the BOC! Its been sunny and fair weather all week and should be the same this weekend, so that might bring some bigger fish out to play. Any tips on bait choices or rigging That might change my luck would be great. Thanks again guys.

10. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    my dad has caught tons of channels while trollin crank baits for hybrids..i have only hooked 1 cat on a lure and it broke the hooks off my rattle trap..big ol flatty behind a spillway:big_smile:

11. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    happened to me the 1st time this year was using a red/white dare devil spoon and hooked two channels . yeah it was a surprise

12. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Sounds like the cats are being very selective...this happens from time-to-time with almost any fish. The key is to figure out what exactly they're feeding on...it may be insect larve, or caterpillers, or who-knows-what. They will continue to feed like this until their food souce is gone. So, you have a couple of choices: You can wait them out and eventually they will start feeding like normal cats or you can solve their puzzle and start putting fish on the bank. Your choice...I know what I would do. Get down to their level and figure it out.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

13. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Have you only fished it during the day? I've had sandpits near me with crystal clear water where you can see the fish,the only time I could get those cats to bite was after dark on live gills,usually suspended under a bobber. They seemed to cruise around during the day,but refused to feed till dark,so I went at night and they had no problem biting,but if you use a lantern or shine any light on the waters surface it can shut them right off,so use the least amount of light you can and keep it off the water,and go quietly as possible. cat can get real sensetive in some situations,the plastics work great if you can find some good places to key in on that attract the actively feeding cats,I wrote a article in the article section about topwater flathead action it might be worth your time to give it a read. And welcome to the boc.

14. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS

great article btw...ive notcied this as well..clear water is hard to fish in the daytime for sure!

15. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    I catch catfish on a regular basis using jointed Shad Raps in silver shad color on the Mississippi river. Mainly along the riprap lines. If you are targeting cats with those baits you need to slow down the retrieve some, catsfish are not as adept at running down a bait as a Bass would be.

16. Cerwin0

Cerwin0 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Ive fished there at night several times and only caught gar and a few sac-a-lait. The water is pretty muddy but the cats can be seen feeding on topthe water. Im going to see if i can get an idea of what they are munching on up there so i can give them whatever it is on a hook. I havent actually targeted catfish when using artificial lures, aiming more at hooking some bass or sac-a-lait. I will try to get some cats with a slower retrieve of the same lure(chartruese curly tail jig) this weekend though. Ill make sure and post what happens... Or doesnt happen.

17. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have yet to meet a cat who doesnt like Bluegill heads. I have never been fishing and used them and not got hits. Maybe you could try that. Are you using the smaller shad and using them whole? Try big ones cut up.

18. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    A few years bck a friend and I had some success on a Manns 20+ and Manns 30+ crank baits, in Crawdaad colors. Cranked slow in the outside bends of the river. Mostly channels. Corey Welcome to the BOC.

19. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

20. Cerwin0

Cerwin0 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks for the welcome guys, glad to be among catfish enthusiasts here. Does anyone know where I could find bluegill around the baton rouge area? I have some shad on ice for saturday, mixed sizes. I planned on cutting up the bigger shad and maybe halving the smaller ones or use them whole. Ive got liver, hotdogs(garlic soaked and regular), and of course the plastic jigs. Im going to fish some of the shallower areas of the lake. Maybe that will change my luck! Thanks again for all the advice and suggestions!