Catfishing with a radio - Does it effect the catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Beaver, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Beaver

Beaver New Member

State:
    California
    I am fishing Channel Cats at nite...

Do you guys think a portable radio, playing on the table in my pontoon boat will bother the Channel Cats, and cause them to NOT bite.

I mean the noise radiating through the hull into the water,
    NOT the actual talk show I am listening to. hehehehe

And, just how quiet should a guy be, approching his spot and after he gets the baits out.

Thanks,

HARRY

2. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Both my bass boats have stereo systems in them and I dont seem to have any problems with catching fish with the stereo playing it aint never turned up real loud either as I want to be able to talk to my wife when were fishing and such.

3. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I think it depends on the music!:lol:

4. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    I uselly have a radio out doesn't seem to bother them i think as long as you aren't shooting a cannon off or anything like that shouldnt be a problem

5. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    You think Phil?? LOL hmm could be maybe they like a little lite jazz now and then? lol

6. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I agee with rockhound, play a little blues.

7. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Well, I don't know about sound from radios. But, I have seen fish (in shallow water) which spooked when I coughed. Thus, I always remember how my Grandpa always told me to make as little noise as possible and when you talk, speak softly. Or, you will scare the fish away. There is a lot to be said for this.

However, in this day and age with all the commotion that transpires on a lake, from umpteen jet skis and boats etc.With radios blaring etc. I think the fish have grown accustomed to hearing a lot of noise on the water, from radios or whatever. But, in a quiet cove, a small river etc etc that doesn't have as much activity. I will always try to go by what my Grandfather taught me.

8. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Just cast away from the boat, dont fish strait down and you should not have a problem.

9. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use a dewalt boom box and just put a towel under it to keep it from vibrating though the boat.

I fish a lot of nights and it doesn't seem to bother the fish. Also I listen to talk so it is never loud.

10. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I'm more of a portable TV guy and have never had a problem. Ain't nothin like Monday nite football on the river. LOL!

11. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I have found that it depends on where you are fishing. You have to find the right station for different spots, not all catfish like the same music or talk shows.:crazy:

12. bottom_rig

bottom_rig New Member

State:
    baltimore, md
    yeah we have a little shortwave we bring out everynight were on the water...never seem to affect the fish neither, then again i fish from the shore, so not sure if its relavent.
    hell weve even had a few freinds show up with there guitar and banjos. and the pickin never bothered nothin.

13. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    I enjoy listening to KC Royals basball while out on the river.............if there not scared of that then I can't imagine a little soft music will hurt:confused2:

14. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Sometime late at night I like to listen to Coast to Coast with George Noory. I love talk radio:crazy: Only on occassion will I listen to the radio. Dad always taught to talk low and watch:roll_eyes: I dunno, I still do it to this day. Now if I am on my boat and traveling to and fro, I will play music sometimes.

15. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Do you catch yourself looking up for alien spacecraft? :smile2:

16. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    As long as the music is not RAP, I think they wiil be ok!!:lol:

17. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    When I am fishing I don't want a lot of sound in the boat. So a radio is way out of the question. I take fishing big cats serious, so I leave the radio and loud crap at home. If you think noise don't bother cats you need to find out about there lateral line and the sensitivity to noise!!!

18. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    All the time Mark.....All the time:big_smile:

19. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    My wife always turns up the music and I tell her Shhhh, you'll scare the fish.

Well she keeps out fishing me, Maybe the cats are showing their appreciation to her for the tunes. LOL:big_smile:

20. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    As long as it is not RIP music-I mean RAP music,,, You ain't rite -man......