Catfishing With A Bobber

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by Whistler, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Original posted by Brian Mckee(Brimcowa) on July 11, 2002

The only thing that determines for me, whether I use a bobber, (or not), is the water that I'm fishing! If I'm working a pool on the outside of a bend in a stream, I will invariably cast out a weight that "holds" my presentation in position to not only maintain its 'position' (in order to draw cats to it by scent), but also to help reduce "rolling" of the terminal end into or under a snag where a 'taker' could become entangled and cause loss of the rig!

But, with that said, there are instances when a "floating" or "suspended" presentation is the way to go. To incorporate this method I will sometimes utilize the three-way swivel in stead of the "slip-through egg sinker: above the barrel swivel: above the snell" and even attach a tear-drop jig that is tapered to enhance its suspension...the chances of snagging are increased and short strikes tend to be a problem, especially in fast water, but it does not deter me from utilizing its practice...especially if the pool is deep and appears free of obstructions.

The only time I will use a bobber for cats is A) when I am holding a bait over a dropoff on a point or flat in an impoundment (which is rare for me due to the fact that I prefer river fishing), or B) while working the bait in an eddy or off of a break where some control of the drift can be manipulated and/or maintained. I have never "fixed the bobber" but rather utilize the slip approach and dependent upon the weight necessary to hold the presentation suspended, will often go without any sort of a stop. Of course the presentation is best accomplished with the duel barrel swivel rig and the bait attached to the sliding swivel as opposed to the swivel attached at the terminal end...this way it is free to "float" in whatever current is available while being anchored to the bottom by weight which slows its progress relative to current! No matter what approach we use, the "Proof is in the Pudding" as the old saying goes and if whatever approach I am utilizing does not produce fish (let alone strikes) I know it is time to manipulate my rig in order to "find" the pattern that will produce fish. For me, this rarely calls for the use of a bobber!

R. D. Hilton likes this.
  2. westman407

westman407 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have a place that I love to fish but there are too many rocks that I snag on. I have used a bobber with about 16-24" hanging down with a minnow. It is the only way to get the eating sized channels from this location. So when snagging is a problem and you know they are shallow it is the way to go!!!