Catfishing With A B.O.C. Brother in Arkansas.

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by TOPS, Oct 14, 2008.

1. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Well Mac is on his last leg of his round robin fishing trip, He is camping at Piny Bay camp grounds, He gave me a call and I met him at the camp last night 13 Oct 08, He and I fished for about two hours without any luck but that does not matter, I was able to get out the house and cought up on the latest with the news Mac and his wife were able to share. Thanks to Mac a good friend.

2. johnathon281

johnathon281 New Member

State:
    Russellville AR
    Hey Vernon....Do you know anything about that new little park and put in on the other side of Dewight Mission? That used to be a good fishin hole....
    Just wonderin if you knew when they are expecting to have that done so people can get back down in there.

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I tried to go in there last week but the workers had a gate up, I think it will be just a boat ramp, picnic tables, a large parking area. I am not sure there will be camping .

4. johnathon281

johnathon281 New Member

State:
    Russellville AR
    I am sure once they open it up..I will be there quite a bit fishin....it always produced big fish there.....
    Keep an eye open for me and let me know....maybe we can meet up and see if the fish are still there....
    Oh also, i wanted to tell you that the blues have been hitting real good on bait shrimp...in the still waters anyway....
    The shad is doing good, out on the river..

5. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Just curious where this is at? Sounds like I might wanna try this place out. When it opens up or if there is another way you can get to this spot, then let me know! Would love to meet up with you folks and do some fishing! I need to get up that way soon and visit with Top some and give him a few things that is way overdue! Sorry Top!

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I'm just a little fuzzy about exactly where this new ramp is going in. There used to be a place where you could launch a boat off the bank right alongside hwy 64, just after you cross Mill Creek, coming from Russellville. Is that the place?

"Oh also, i wanted to tell you that the blues have been hitting real good on bait shrimp...in the still waters anyway...."

What kind of 'still waters' are you catching the fish in? Shallow or deep? Weedy, rocky, structure, what? Back in the late 80s I trotlined that whole area quite a bit, but never had a lot of luck. I left a line baited with live bream right under the Mill Creek bridge for a week without losing a bait. Also around the bridge where hwy 333 crosses the little bay. My best spot was off an iron pole just out from the dock at the executive center.

7. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Coming from Russville on 64, crossing the causeway, at the foot of the bridge on the right is a small store that was called the Sweet Spot, store has been closed for about two to three years now, In the back right corner is the road to the new park and ramp area. Do not get confused with the small ramp that has been there for years and years, that ramp is on the left, small parking lot for that ramp that is on the left. I hope this helps!

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    So, it's at the west end of the causeway on the right, before you ever get to Mill Creek, right?
    I didn't know they had closed that store. Back when I fished that area a lot, it wasn't there, and I'd generally stop at the Mill Creek Bait Shop, about halfway up the hill before you turn off onto 333.

9. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Yep, before you get to Mill creek, Also Mill creek bait shop has been closed, The park is not open yet they are still working on it. As you come off the bridge going west the parking lot for the store is with-in 25 to 30 yards off the bridge on the right side. The road to the park is hard to see from the road you must go up to the right corner to find it.

10. johnathon281

johnathon281 New Member

State:
    Russellville AR
    As for the bait shrimp...Look for the waters right off the current break....
    Thats were they are hitting them. Hitting them good too...had a couple try to still my pole last time i was out. I like that anyway....
    The shad still seem to be the choose of bait for the current...

anyway...how you been doing Jerry? Long time no talk....Hows Kim?

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Still hanging in there, John, but between health probolems and outboard problems, I haven't been doing much fishing.

12. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Jerry you still cant get that motor to run? is it all computerized? Top we will get out there again in a week or so, I got some new places to check out :wink: During the day, Too chilly at night for me. Ok?

13. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    We can go again, I may be able to find some more skips.

14. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    I have maybe one and a few pieces left of Skipjack. Im sure we can find somewhere to net some shad. I got alot going on right now, so Im not sure when I will be able to break free. Illness in the Family has taken 1st spot on things to do list. you know how that is. There will be plenty time when its over. Mac

15. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Jerry- correct me if i am wrong, which i know you will, but is'nt that motor fairly new? Does not seem like you have had it that long! But, then again, if you don't run them often and take them out, then they will give you problems! Need to get her to runnin and then fish more!!!:smile2:

16. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    sometimes it good just to have a BS session

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Newt, my outboard is fairly new, and hasn't been run much, partly because of health reasons, and partly because I've had trouble with the motor since I bought it. The first time I took it out, the low oil pressure light came on, and I had it in to the shop 3 times before they finally replaced the computer. And then it was very hard to start. John took the carburator apart and cleaned it, and that seemed to solve the problem. Before I take it back out, I'm going to put an in-line gas filter on my hose connecting the gas tank and the motor. I've been wanting to get out and put some lines in for a few days before Thanksgiving, but I've been laid up with some kind of flu bug. I went to the VA, and they gave me a batch of antibiotics, and they did help, but I've still got the bug. Gonna have to go back for another batch. I had the same problem last December, and it took 3 batches to finally get rid of the problem.