Catfishing Weights

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Salty1, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    Some of my catfishing buddies and I have come into about 100 lbs. of free lead and have made our own molds for no roll sinkers. The sinkers have come out perfect but we are having problems with getting holes through the lead to feed our line through. We have tried laying heavy wire coated with Pam non-stick spray in the molds and it was still very tough to pull them out. The second thing we tried was drilling and that does'nt work very well either. Any idea's would be great !!!!!
    Thanks in advance !!!!!!!!!!!!!!:0a35:
    John

2. dano40

dano40 New Member

State:
    Spirit lake, Iowa
    Use stainless steel wire been using it for years never had a problem.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I use brass welding rods. Just oil the crap outta the things before you pour the lead. Should come out easier.

4. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    AwShucks is right. The brass welding rods do well. You can fashion a wooden handle on one end to give you the leverage to pull through the mold. Oil heavily. When the mold gets real hot the results are even better.

5. james_s333

james_s333 New Member

State:
    byesville,ohio
    im not sure about what you asked but i have 25 lbs of lead and have no idea where to get molds....the sad thing is i can get as much as i want til april when my dad retires

6. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    You can bring that lead up and I'll let you use my mold. All I have is a banksinker mold. You can find them online or at places like Bass pro shops, cabelas, or fin,feather, and fur in ashland.

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    James, start you up something like a savings account, except put the lead into it. If it is free now, it won't be forever. Molds can be found at BPro, Academy's, bait houses, e-bay, or just do a search on the web for sinker molds. You'll find a bunch. Just check them all out as some will run about 28.00 at one place and 38.00 at another. The important thing is to collect and save the lead now. LOL

8. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    I made my molds out of thick leftover wood I had laying around. Just drilled holes in the wood.

9. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    I would buy a sinker mold...they work well and not to expensive. I use
    Do-It molds and they are great and have a large selection to choose from.

10. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    When buying a sinker mold is it best to get a cast iron or alluminum mold ?

11. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    id say alluminum the heat escapes alot quicker . the cooler the mold the better

12. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    allminum the heat escapes alot better

13. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    alum. molds just use castiron melting pots.

14. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I use do-it molds and cast iron melting pots. I use a tube of grease to dip the rod in every other pour its less mess than oil. Also read a thread on hear about using a wax ring for toilet bowls to stick the rod in. I haven't tried it but should work great.