Catfishing Vacations -where is your fishing vacation location?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bill_gfish, Feb 18, 2006.

1. bill_gfish

bill_gfish New Member

State:
    st. marys, oh
    Me and the wife take seperate vacations. She goes to florida about this of year feb. or march. And I go to Mich. every year in June.

I go with my dad and several others to fletcher floodwaters in Alpena Mi. We fish for pike and bass mainly. It is usually a 3-4 day fishing trip and I have a great time with limits every year. I don't usually keep fish for harvest but for that trip I make an exception. I keep a bag-o-fillets and give the rest to mom and dad. I started this yearly trip about 11 yrs. or so ago before I cared to much about catfishing and now it is about the only bass fishing I do. One of these day it will be changed to a catfishing trip somewhere south but haven't decided yet where to go.

I am just curious as to where catfisherman take their fishing trips. And if it is catfish or other species you fish for.

2. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I think I mite be going to Canda sometime this summer for Walleye, pike, and Musky, not sure yet. Depends on what my grandpa is doing

BOC Gathering are a nice choice! Especially the National Gathering!!:rock-big::rock-big:

Anywhere where they have some big blues because we don't have any around here:mad: :sad: :mad: :sad:

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I want to go to the James River in Va. and spend a couple of days. There are some big fish there, and it is a place that is worth taking a trip to for a consistent big fish bite.

One of the great things about catfish is that you have a good chance of taking a 20+ pound fish on a LOT of water in this country, but it starts to narrow down as you pursue the 50+ pound fish.

4. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Next couple of years, I'm going to BOC gatherings. Planning in '08, going to try the Ebro River.
    Will

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    To be honest I just want enough time off work to fish the scioto river which is 3 miles from my house.

6. graybeard

graybeard New Member

State:
    Iowa
    My family takes a fishing trip to Minnesota (near Alexandria) every year. We've went just about every year since we were kids. Acually my dad went there with his cousin before he was married, and him and mom went there on their honeymoon. Now it's mom, my aunt, myself and four brothers and sisters, our spouses and kids, the kids spouses and kids, etc. Sometimes everyone can't make it for the whole week, but usually everyone gets there for a few days at least. Usually there's 35-40 of us, pretty much rent the whole resort. Most of us still live within 20 miles of home, but outside of Christmas, we seldom all get together at once except for vacation. We'll keep doing this as long as mom is alive, then after that, who knows.
    Someday, I would like to go to an outpost or fly-in cabin in Canada to really get away from it all, and I'd like to spend some time on the Minnesota river catfishing. I get the itch every time I drive over it on our way to Alex.

7. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

We try to go to Mark Twain Lake near Hannibal MO 3-4 times a year. One of these times I'll catch a real cat. LOL!!!

Ray

8. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Last summer, when we were living in Memphis my wife & I went up to Kentucky Lake for 5 days . Caught a 13# blue, but every day the temp was 100+, with 100% humidity. It was like fishin' in a sauna, and we both liken' to died. This year I think we'll head down to Charleston to try a little saltwater fishin'.

9. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I have 3 dream cat locations. One is Santee Cooper South Carolina, The James River in Virginia, and now thanks to DH, Hendersonville, Kentucky ! ;)

10. withone72

withone72 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    This year i am taking my dream trip to santee cooper in march. This is something i wanted to do for 3 or 4 years. If everything goes well i might go back in the summer.

11. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I go to Santee for a few days usually and my wife goes along. She doesn't mind going down there to fish.

12. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Since I have a lake lot on "Lake O The Pines" , I got a say that would be my ideal spot. Been going there for over 20 years.

13. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    my parents use to take me to pomona. they got playgrounds for the kiddies and campgrounds right by the spillway. probally the best spot to camp within 50mi. of here. You can put up your camper/tent within 50 feet of river like habitat with water & electric hook ups.:thumbsup: I don't like getting too far away from home unless I have a lot of money (never). Thats probally my pic, I probally take the family there this year. Ps, this spot had the previous state flathead record:thumbsup:

14. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Every year I pack up the family for a week and head back to Iowa...that's right Iowa. The fishing is on no matter what time of year I go, whether I make a winter trip for ice fishing, spring , or the middle of the summer...the fish are always to be found...Unlike down here where this is the first year in the 7 I've been here that I had any sort of consistent catches.

Now if you are talking about DREAM trips...Europe, South America, Africa and Thailand...put them in what ever order you'd like...I'd love to go to any of them!

15. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    I'm with flathunter on this one.. A few mile trip to the sangamon is plenty o' vacation for me. Just getting away from everything and relaxing. What's the difference if I spend 5$ or 500$? Same results.

16. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'm lucky to have several good fishing locations close to home,so no need for a vacation to catfish. I would like the opportunity to fish the Santee-Cooper res. sometime and also more trips to the Mississippi River. I also like a good Gulf Coast deep-sea fishing trip every now and then. Them there ocean fish cook up real nice!

17. Flyingpig

Flyingpig New Member

State:
    Lakewood, Illinois
    Got my reservations made for June to fish the Santee Cooper for a couple of days. I've wanted to fish there for years and finally got around to getting things set up to go.

18. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    definately Sante Cooper in January or February

19. glenmorebuckman

glenmorebuckman New Member

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    I usually try to make it to Kentucky Lake every May for the channel cat spawn. Got to stay 4 days last year, first vacation I ever had in my life!!

20. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    surf fishing for shark in the gulf of mexico. this year its a cabin at graton beach state park next year maybe shark fishing south padre island texas.