Catfishing- Upper Arkansas River

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by capt theory, Jan 19, 2006.

1. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    im not sure what happened to the thread for this river but im gonna get it started again. anyone whos put time in on this area knows there are some huge cats to be had. ive caught as big as 55 pounds around tulsa but have been plain whupped by a freight train posing as a catfish. its happened more than once to me and a guy i fish with. now i know we are not the only ones fishing this river so lets hear it....

2. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    i was trotlining on kerr last year just above the dam on a rocky point. when i went to bait my line for the second time it was hung up. my buddy came up to see what i had caught. i got him to help mepull this line up and it pulled back. i figure we got this fish within about 10' of the boat before the line broke. no doubt the line was hung up in the rocks. it broke where it had been fraid badly by rocks. but just above that we found a straightened hook and about 6' of the nastiest thicket slime i have ever seen.:crying:

3. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    its the slime that bums me out about that story. you know it was a good one. where? just south of the dam? i know that area above the dam just south is a flathead haven. maybe next time that beast wont be so lucky. what kind of hooks were you using? ive had problems with hooks like that but now i use big ol' circle hooks that i cant imagine anything straighting out. all i know if one does then you had one for the record books.

4. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Not sure about what you missed but back in 86' my buddy was going to college there in Tulsa and I came down and we fished 1 day at the low dam right in town ( on the Arkansas river) and the water was low and while standing on the rocks about 50 ft below the dam, in a big eddy I was casting a small twister tail and catching white bass,crappies, small bass when out of the corner of my eye, I saw the biggest fish I still have ever seen surface, it was a aligator gar and Im guessing it was 8 feet long, it came up like a submarine, gulped some air, and slowly sank back down, scared the you know what out of me:) and yes, I know all about gar, it was a confirmed sighting!! Several locals said that fish had a name as so many folks had seen him that summer and someone had been using whole chickens trying to catch him.

Just curious if any of those guys are still around? I did see several large paddlefish taken there that day by snagging and then the next day we went up to below Keystone and saw a bunch of striper guys with some 30 lb + fish on stringers. Stripers will take cut bait with no questions asked, just a thought....

I wish I coud have spent more time there that week, also got a bunch of trout and a nice largemouth below Tenkiller and hammered a bunch of 15-17" white bass on some trib that whole same week, ahhh, the good ole days!!!!

Salmonid

5. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    yeah when that water goes down there at the low water dam its sometimes amazing what you can see swimming. HUGE gar and Huge paddle fish. in some of the bigger holes just south of the dam are some 80 100 pound class gar. i had a buddy catch one that just looked unreal to me in the photos.

6. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    since that little mishap i have gone to 6/0-8/0 circles. i belive they wiil work alot better for me. and talk about big gar. we,ve caught 5 to 6' gar below mayo by the dozens. i have no doubt about the prospect of some true monsters in the ol' arkansas.